Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Battery Recharger...

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Irish_, May 18, 2011.

1. Ok, long story short, I left my park light on at work (whoops, not used to that extra turn on the key!!). Came back and the bike was flat. Bump started and got it home.

Been doing some reading and it seems that leaving the bike to recharge with normal running is not a good idea, as the alternator is really only meant to keep the battery at a constant level. With the low voltage, apparently it can burn out?

So, my house mate has a battery charger that pumps out 12.5V @ 2.5A. Read the bike manual and it states:

'The standard charging rate is 1.2A for 5 to 10 hours and maximum rate is 5.0A for one hour. Never exceed maximum charge.'

You think it would be ok for me to hook it up for maybe 2.5 hours??
  2. maybe maybe not
  3. Just had a quick chat with a sparky and he said the two hours should be fine.

Fingers crossed.
  4. It'll be fine
  5. You'll be fine.

If it's a cheap charger it won't be able to supply it's rated output anyway as they're in marketing amps, not real amps.

Just don't leave it on overnight as cheap chargers tend to float up really high with small batteries (like over 16 volts) due to the low ESR in small batteries.
  6. All good now. Put it in for just under two hours, let it sit, and good as gold. Embarrassing trip to the shop avoided