Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Battery-powered Triumph Daytona: 0-100 in 2.7 seconds

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Loz, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Blatant article plug:

They've chucked an electric engine in a Daytona 600. They're getting over 200km range out of it whiile cruising, a top speed of about 150kmh and a blistering 0-100 acceleration time. Charges from whoa to go in 10 minutes, costs 10 times less to run than a petrol bike... And uglier than a 'boosa.

And all this for only US$77,000...

Electric bikes are definately on the way. Whaddya reckon?

2. Why the hell not?

The only thing electric bikes will lack is a great exhaust note and the fun of shifting gears (most that I've seen have direct transmission from motor to rear wheel.
  3. i am keen for them.
    possibly too early to buy one.

plan on making a prototype for myself.
    just to get the feel of riding one.
  4. But costs 10 times as much to buy, and would probably have a much lower resale value (given that at some point the battery packs are going to be completely shagged). Electric power definitely has potential but there's still a lot of things to work out before it becomes a feasible alternative to petrol as far as bikes are concerned.
  5. Absolutely, but electric engines are starting to improve at a rate similar to computers... Faster, smaller, lighter, more compact batteries, more powerful all the time.

Add to that some of the REALLY cool things you can do with them... Like using regenerative braking to recharge the battery on the run - throttles that turn both forwards AND backwards, allowing you to effectively switch the battery terminals as you slow down and return power to the battery.

Expense is something the pioneers have to cop on the chin for the rest of us... If this stuff becomes feasible, it'll hit the market at a reasonable cost for sure.

I'm hainging out for the first electric motorcycle racing series, that'll be fascinating... And it could be a preview of the 2020 superbike races... :shock:
  6. The first electric motors are definitely better than the first internal combustion engines though that's for sure.

Electric engines (and especially the storage units) are developing at a pretty cracking pace. Imagine what it will be like when the big manufacturers really get stuck into them.

I tell you what is cool though, the air-powered car that's being brought out in a few countries. It simply runs on compressed air! It's exhaust gasses are...cold air!

We'll never see it here though because the chassis isn't a big hulking metal frame :roll:.
  7. Only problem with electric vehicles (and compressed air, hydrogen, etc, etc) is that the energy still has to come from somewhere - Solar, wind, hydro... nuclear... or more likely, naturalgas-fired powerplants, coal...

So unless we make a dedicated push toward cleaner energy generation at the powerplant, it's just a case of "out of sight, out of mind".
  8. Beware of inflated claims regarding the range of electric vehicles! The classic example is the Vectrix, which has a claimed range of 'over 110 km'... and buried in smallest print known to printers is the information that range is calculated at steady 40km/hr! If you want to know the true useful range of electric vehicle, I would suggest it will be closer to 1/3 of the claimed figure. So in case of this Daytona, about 30 miles.

I think I'll pass! And in the longer term, I believe the future is fuel cells not batteries.
  9. True, but that was largely down to the fact that there was no real push to develop the internal combustion like there was for electric motors (for use in industry). First World War soon changed all that though - it was responsible for making engines much lighter and much more powerful. What's needed now is a similar push on electric development. I like Loz's idea of an electric racing series, if there was enough money to be made from it you'd soon find companies willing to invest the sort of capital needed to make electric a feasible option. Me though I'm still waiting for a decent diesel option on bikes, what's not to like about low fuel consumption and insane levels of torque.
  10. +1
  11. Until they can produce similar power at a similar mass and get a similar milage, then it's pulling yourself up by the bootlaces stuff.

Also, how does your mobile phone battery perform after a couple of years? The batteries may be guaranteed for 5 years, but the question is, is the performance and milage also guaranteed?

Also consider pertol cost is a relatively small part of running a vehicle. Although people seem convinced otherwise. How else could you explain people buying the Prius?

Unless petrol prices double then this is not going to happen and even then we will be buying smaller capacity bikes first. Triple the price of petrol in real terms is probably a more realistic trigger point.
  12. Energy generation technologies are moving along too. They've just installed the first commercial tidal energy harvester off the coast of Ireland.

Tidal energy is totally predictable, free, emissions-free and the highly efficient undersea turbines have a negligible environmental footprint. We're only getting started on this one, the tidal motion of water is an incredibly powerful force the world over that's never really been made use of.

Not to mention more and more efficient solar harvesting photovoltaic cells etc etc. Now that we're really startig to see a need for this tech, big business and government are moving it along. Exciting times.
  13. There's also the question of longevity, particularly important in places like Australia given the average age of vehicles is quite high. Petrol engines might need servicing but if looked after will easily run 10-20 years. Going to be a long time before battery packs come even close to that (if ever) and even if you replaced them eventually the motor itself is going to need a fairly major overhaul (brushes and possibly even a rewinding). Even if you don't want to keep it that long there's still the issue of resale - at the moment electric/hybrids can virtually be considered disposable (and be interesting to compare the "true" environmental impact of having one petrol engined car for 10 years versus 2 hybrids/electrics for 5 years each).
  14. It's true Loz and I agree we should be pursuing these technologies actively, but the reality is, even in the medium term, these things are only going to be top up measures.
  15. The 'Tesla' sportscar is doing alright for the first part. Performance is good, though the range is a little short compared to the typical "runs" I'd do with the MR2 club. It's an infant technology still - right now I think the electric sports vehicles are just trying to get their foot in the door as stylish, desireable commuter/city vehicles. Grand Touring can come later.

A friend on the Tesla project team's explained the latter - The battery packs are replaced and recycled as part of the Tesla's normal distance/time vehicle servicing schedule. After 2 years, battery packs should have even greater energy density as the technology progresses, so it's basically putting an even bigger fueltank into the car each time the batteries are replaced.

The high-power motors used are typically brushless, which means a little less maintenance there, too.
  16. One of the most interesting parts about driving one of the Hybrid vehicles, is that initial take off which is under the battery power. Not because of the power difference, or transmission etc, but because of the sheer lack of engine noise. I imagine not feeling the bike engine rumble, let alone hear it, will be a major mental adaptation in riding a battery powered bike compared to a combustion engine bike.

Speaking of which, has anyone ever produced a Diesel bike? Any obvious reasons why it's not something you see being produced ?
  17. There are a fair few, royal enfield still make a diesel model.

Very frugal, but very gutless.
  18. Yes but it's not your average family sedan. Compare it against something similar, but petrol powered, and it's still not quite "there". For example:
    2680 Pounds
    0-60mph 4s
    Top Speed 130mph

Lotus Exige S
    2077 Pounds
    0-60mph 4.1s
    Top Speed 148mph
  19. There's a few small companies developing diesel bikes at the moment using small diesel car engines with some very impressive performance specs. Biggest hurdle at the moment is simply getting the cost down - something which will probably only happen once one of the major manufacturers decides to mass produce something.
  20. As I was aware, diesel bikes haven't taken off because the combustion is so much more powerful that you need thicker, heavier metal in the engines...