Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Battery not charging

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by thecptn, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Had an old battery in my GT650 that kept dying on me, so I got a new one, charged it up, and it went great...for a day, went flat again, luckily I could push start it, at the moment im recharging it again, I dont know why its doing this, bad rectifier maybe? some thing else?

2. rectifier or alternator
  3. Or you got sold a dud battery.
    Does happen.
  4. Get your multi meter out (should be part of every riders garage tool kit) and check across the terminals when the engine is running.
    It should be about 14v
  5. Got the multimeter out, voltage while runing is 12.50, 12.52 when reved to 5k, some thing not right at all.
  6. Nope. Thats not enough. Time for some investigation. Good luck.
  7. Cpt: It sounds as though the charging system is at fault somewhere, assuming that your battery will receive the charge.

Go through this excellent fault finding chart with your multimeter, it has simple electrical tests for various components in the system:

Incidentally, I've read on these pages that a few Hyo reg/recs have gone, enough to make me want to upgrade the unit if I owned one.
  8. Well, I went out and got a second hand regulator, pluged it in and whadyaknow? 13.5 volts :grin:
  9. Obviously a really authentic suzuki copy :p .