Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Battery is dead and wont charge

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by Spud Gun, Oct 23, 2007.

1. It's been a long while since I last posted. Through one thing and another I have been off the bike (and this site) for a while. Anyway, I am looking to literally get back in the saddle, but the battery on my bike is completely dead. So I tried to trickle charge it with 2 amps and the charger reads nothing going into the battery, and the charger does seem to be working fine (I got a nasty shock when I attached the crocadile clips to my nipples :shock: ). Is the battery a write off? Can sulfates build up that quickly to render it completely impervious to charge?

2. Yep sounds like the lead sulfates have shorted out some or all of the lead plates which is something more likely to happen when charging a completely dead battery than one only a little bit down. Since the sulfates are quite brittle it can sometimes be fixed by whacking the battery with a rubber mallet - though more likely it's time to buy a new one.

3. YOU SHOULD KEEP YOUR BATTERIES CHARGED ALL THE TIME OTHERWISE THEY ARE USELESS AFTER A FEW WEEKS, YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO TAKE IT TO YOUR BATTERY SHOP AND GET THEM TO GIVE IT A GOOD CHARGE AT VERIED RATES THIS SOMETIMES WORKS

OTHER THAN THAT GET A PROJECTOR AUTO CHARGER 900MH
    YOU PLUG IT ON IT CHARGES THEN FLOOTS THEN CHARGES AND SO ON. THE BEST THING ABOUT THESE IS YOU CAN LEAVE IT PLUGGED IN AND TURNED ON PERMANATLEY

IT IS DESIGNED TO CHARGE AND MAINTAIN BATTERIES IN BIKES AND BOATS THAT ONLY HAVE A SMALL AMOUNT OF USE

4. Rubbish, my new bikes have been up two 6 weeks withou charging and fire up like a dream. Unless your bike has an electrical problem and is shorting the battery, they should last up to 2months + without a charge. If not check it out or get a new battery.

Try lower case next time! :LOL:

5. SORRY SHOULD HAVE BEEN 2 MONTHS NOT 2 WEEKS
    IF THE BATTERY IS NOT KEPT IN A GOOD CHARGE STATE IT WILL DITERIARATE SLOWLY AND THE LIFE OF THE BATTERY WILL BE A LOT LESS IF YOU ONLY ROAD IT EVERY COUPLE OF MONTHS AND RELIED ON THE BIKES CHARGING SYSTEM...........WHICH IS GOOD AS LONG AS YOU ARE A REGULAR RIDER

DON'T KNOW OF ANY MOTORBIKE BATTERIES THAT WILL HOLD FULL CHARGE ALL THE TIME WITHOUT REGULAR TOP UPS IF THERE IS PLEASE LET ME KNOW?

TO LAZY TO TURN CAPS OFF :grin: :grin: