Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Battery info please

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by 64young, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Hi, need some bloke advise on the battery in my Kawka ZZR 250 1997
    Off on a ride tomorrow so thought it a good idea to do the bloke check on the bike. The battery is sealed I'm thinking as it. Says do not open, spotted what I think? Is the header tank, as in the same as my car? Little white plastic square tank but can't get the lid undone. Is this where I put water for the battery????
    Any suggestions how I get the lid off IF this is where I put the water.
    Shock horror, I've never put water in it before??? In approx 6,000 klms
    Amy help worldwide b apareciste de
    Che eres Heather....H

2. The battery is sealed there is no maintenance required other than to check for corrosion around the terminals and or signs of leaking.

The water bottle is for the cooling system if it needs topping up you use coolant not tap water.

If the plastic cap is hard to open try boiling the kettle and tip the hot water over the lid, the expansion my help you crack it open.
  3. Thanks Heaps....Heather
  4. that's an awesome autocorrect :D

battery should not need anything

the tank on left hand side of bike (under rear fender) is the coolant overflow tank (from radiator) just like in your car.
    should be some liquid in there.
    if you can't get that lid off, you can put water/coolant in from the radiator cap, under the plastic trim in front of your right handlebar

the tiny "tank" on right hand side (under rear fender) is the rear brake fluid reservoir.. don't put water in there.

if in doubt, post up a picture
  5. And, to future proof. When it's time for a new one, go for a Lith Ion :)
  6. as i know some old type battery requires you to refill water from time to time... but its very old models...

by the way, why not try on jelly type battery, more stable, slow rate of discharge when you don't use the bike.

(For sure LI is way better but much expensive I suppose)
  7. I bought a lithium ion battery a while ago and it was the best thing I ever did!
    Smallish size so not too expensive.