Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Battery in zxr250 dying quickly....?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Grunge, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Hey all, just wanted to check some stuff....
    I've noticed that my battery is dying quite quickly.
    Let me elaborate:

I've got my zxr250, installed with the Jaycar bike alarm, and it was okay during summer where I rode at least once a week..
    but recently, I've had to push start the bike as I've left it for 2 weeks without switching it on, what it did was only gave it a couple of click over, before it was clear that it needed more battery power.

Recently I've left it for 4 days with the cold weather, and it died out easily as well, and I had to push start... after that though, it would be okay.. I'd ride it to work (about 12K's) and it would start up when I tried to start it for the trip home.

Is it time to change the battery, as it isn't holding charge? Or is there something else I can diagnose to double check?

Thanks for the help!
  2. Search for posts made by me - since my battery died recently and they gave me lots of good advice on what to look for.
  3. Aahh.. okay kewl.. I think it prolly just needs a charge.. and it should be okay.. I'll have to get a charger.
  4. If ur battery is charging when ridden, so u can rule out rectifier.
    Battery is prob not holding charge for long. So its either ur battery is rooted or something is draining the battery.

Check ur batteries water level, and that all the connections onto battery are well secured. Multi meter check. With my mates zx2r it wouldnt start if the battery was under 12.6v. Didnt have enough initial power to start.
    Is the battery old? They are pretty cheap to replace anyways, 50 i think.

The jay car alarm doesnt seem to drain much battery. If u have the flashy led on, and dont ride the bike or start it often, then it would drain sufficient power in a week to lower voltage below 12.6v.
  5. Aahh. kewl.. Thanx for that Natta.. I'll check it out. :]