Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Featured Battery charging advice

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by BDL999, May 16, 2015.

1. Hi all,

I'm interested to know who charges their battery whilst still in the bike , my seat is a bit of a pain to remove every time i hook up the charger . I've rigged up a lead that sits under the pillion seat (easily accessible) that can be easily hooked up to the charger.

My main concern is adequate battery ventilation during charging.

Your thoughts?

Thanks .

2. I have a similar set up for my trickle charger. How flat is your battery getting?

3. Are you using a maintenance charger or a standard battery charger?

4. Trickle charger (not that I've used it yet because I ride almost daily) leave the seat on.

Standard charger if I accidentally flatten the battery, seat off.

5. Ok seat on is ok for a trickle charger. When you are hard charging you may get venting of hydrogen when charging but with sealed batteries that is not common anymore.

6. Hey BDL999
    Shouldn't be a problem. Modern batteries have adequate ventilation for gas venting. The only drama when charging batteries is the gas venting is flammable, so as long as you are not ark welding or using a flame thrower near your machine you will be fine.
    I have been using trickle charges for years without incident that are wired straight to the bike with a plug under the frame rail and back mudguard. One cheap one I had years ago went crazy and started putting out 16 volts, that killed the battery. Other than that its all good.
    Griff

7. Thanks for the reply's.

I flattened the battery once and took it out to fully charge it again.

I want to leave it in to top it up every few weeks.

It's a 2amp matson smart charger, when the battery was flat it fully charged it in about 3hrs then turned itself off.

8. I use a C-Tek smart trickle charger and leave the seat on. Same as you, BDL999, I've got the leads permanently wired to battery. No probs to date.

9. i can vouch for the need to trickle charge. My VFR 800 was never trickle charged and ended up leaving me at the side of the road with a stuffed charging system. Since then I have used a trickle charger on every bike I have had.

10. Hmm. I have the wiring and a trickle charger. Should I be trickle charging when it's parked up for the night? Why would it stuff the charging system GalexGalex?

11. It depends on your frequency of riding and the pattern of your riding. If you ride frequently and they are rides of an hour or more then trickle charging shouldn't be necessary. If you take short infrequent rides or have lots of starts and short runs then your battery will stay healthier with a trickle charger.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I fit the second scenario cjvfrcjvfr . Will start using my trickle charger. So much to learn.....thanks for this. :)

13. I am looking at an optimax charger does anybody have experience with this product or all those type of charger are much of the same ?

14. Haven't had any experience with the Optimax brand. It is a three step charger against the CTEK Six step versions but on the other hand it will probably lift a dead battery up from flat whereas the CTEK's see this as a fault and wont charge. More charge steps means the battery is exercised, a small discharge cycle and then a charge cycle.

Both are fine, the extra smarts of a CTEK will give you a bit more battery life. Whether it is enough to make the cost worthwhile I can't say.

15. I have three chargers, a Ctek switchmode six step charger for maintenance of batteries, a big 6 amp linear for flat cars, and a smaller 2.5 amp linear for flat bikes or farm equipment. Modern switchmode chargers are light and the microcontrollers make their current really work for the battery but if flat they error out as they are not designed for flat batteries. I got my Ctek for $40 on sale and considering I use it on farm equipment and bikes it is well worth the investment. Even if you only have one to two bikes it can be worth it if you get the charger at the right price as depending on the bike it can save you up to $300 on replacement battery. You can get switchmode chargers that have the efficiency benefits of switchmode without the microcontroller based limitations of the Ctek but I've always preferred a big, heavy linear charger for flat or near flat batteries, there is no substitute for more amps when you're charging a flat battery.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Thanks cjvfr & Spiritech for your feedback I will investigate