Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

battery charger?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by enzise, Jul 12, 2007.

1. ok i need a bit of info on battery chargers for bikes. my bike battery is dead. fractured my thumb 5 weeks ago and havnt touched my bike, should of but didnt. anyway thumb is getting better and tryed to start bike today no luck. pushed it up driveway a couple of times for clucth start and still no joy. now for my questions.

after reading the manual for my bike 04 suzuki GS500F i gathered that it is a 12v battery, can somone confirm this for me pls.

also does anyone know of a good place to buy one (just go to repco or something like that?) and how much ami looking at spending? ideally not a lot but something to get the job done.

2. Super Cheap should have chargers for around $25

However, I'd recomend you get a trickle/float charger. You can then plug in and forget about them and not worry about your battery overcharging like on a "normal" charger. ALso check Super CHeap, saw them there for about $50, but your bike shop should also stock them but may be a bit dearer

All the best with getting the bike going

3. yes, it is 12 volt. you can get a gazillion different types of chargers...i have one that i use on cars and bikes and cost ~$40. but it doesnt cut out when the battery is full, so i have to remember that i hooked it up ;)
    you can spend what i did, or up to a few hundred for the fancy ones, depends what you want it to do.

ps- moved to Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts, you posted in general discussion :)

4.  Top
  5. From http://www.triumph675.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9802&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It's the unit I use. :) Just waiting to see now that the lack of needing a new battery (typically when others say they needed one) to indicate that the battery maintainer is doing it's other job besides keeping the battery charged :)

6.  Top
  7.  Top
  8. thanks for all the info.

just heading off to super cheap auto with a limit of $50, hoping they have one that will cut off when the battery is fully charged to avoid dmg that sounds like something i will def need.