Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Battery charger. sufficient or not ?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by pokiou, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Hey Guys/Gals,

i got a Battery charger with the following specs,

pri 240v ~ 50HZ 63W
    12V - 16v -... 42VA

Sec.: 9,8V -... 3A

capacity range 1,2 3Ah
    time controller: MAX 90min

would this be good enough to charge a ZZR250 dead battery. ????

Thanks in advance,

2. Can't see why not, though 1,2,3 Ah has me wondering.

the zzr battery would probable be around the 8 Ahr range, but surely that just means you will need to put the charger on for 3 hrs if it was completly flat.

3. Well I wouldn't go hooking it up to the 9.8v ouput. A low amp 12v output is fine for charging a battery, it'll just take longer (some batteries actually give the charging times for various amps). Having low amps is definately preferable to having the amps too high.
    Edit: Oh and FWIW I've charged my battery with a 2.6 amp charger before without problems, in fact the battery actually gives a time for charging at 4 amps (1/2 hour). Of course not all batterys are the same.
  4. If the battery is totally dead you need a low amp charger to start with or you can warp the plates and fark the battery. A good smart charger will sense the instant current drawn and self adjust, but a simple one will just give it the berries from the get-go and can easily screw the pooch.