Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Battery Charger Recomendations

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by Swaine, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Hi can anyone recommend a brand and model of battery charger and possibly shop in Melbourne to buy it from?

Obviously one that is more than just a trickle charger so as to not overcharge the battery and decrease its lifespan. But one that has a float or maintenance mode where it drops down the amperage once full charge is achieved.

I noticed this at RiderEdge

http://www.ridersedge.com.au/main/i...-15C5-E1E2-3EC929857E6AE952&dts=2522009201152

Cheers

2. You could go for two units.

Get a cheapo trickle charger. Pretty much anything will do the job, although an ammeter's nice so you can judge how the charge is going. Just use it overnight if you've got a totally flat battery, then switch off and disconnect. it acts as a handy nominal 12V source for other purposes. I've used mine on gel cells without obvious damage too.

Then get yourself one of those $30 solar maintainers from Altronics or wherever and chuck it up on the roof of your garage/shed/carport and hook it up to whatever idle batteries you may have lying around. I've had one for the last 2.5 years and it's doing a great job on my various spare batteries. I just have to remember to swap it from one to the next every week or so. I must get another so i don't have to.

3. Hi,

Personally I use a 900mA trickle charger (with auto cut off) between a bike and car (just takes longer to charge the car when flat) and have no problems.

AC150
    Automatic 12V 1.5A* 900mA Battery Charger Charge N' Maintain
    (google projecta)

Gassit Motorcycles in Fairfield Vic (81 Station St) has a similar trickle/maintain charger.