Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Battery Advice

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by blue92, May 27, 2009.

1. Hi Guys,
    Sorry another battery/bike wont start thread, i have searched other posts but would like some advice in my particular case.

Just after some advice about the battery on my bike (92 GSXR750). My bike wouldnt start yesterday as the battery was flat, tried to clutch start but still no go. I recieved a jump start and she fired, rode it home now she wont start again. Just a little background on the bike, when shes cold she can sometimes be a pain to start, i usually get 5 or 6 goes at starting it before the battery becomes to weak(is that normal) then i just clutch it down the driveway and away i go. Ive had the bike 1 year and dont know how old the battery is.
    I charged the battery to it says charged on the charger then i tried to start it and it clicks over but immediatley you can hear its to weak. Charged it again checked voltage it was 12v turned the key on(not starter,just lights) and you watch the volts go down quickly. The lights drain the battery quickly to the extent that if i wait a minute before pushing the starter i get nothing not even a click.
    So what i want to know is this just a battery problem (fix-new battery) or is there something else that causes what i have tried to explain, if so what and how do i check it. Thanks
  2. No. Just a battery that is at it's end.

If it's still got a wet type battery, replace it with a sealed type. They handle not being ridden regularly better than the old wet types. Plus they give you more grunt when starting.
  3. thanks for your reply, is a wet battery one that has the caps you take off to top up the cells? cause mine dosnt have those caps like a car battery.