Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Battery acid vs Gel?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by BugEye, Apr 15, 2008.

1. I got a SpeedTrip where the battery is on the side rather then upstanding...

I bought a new battery and they gave me an acid filled battery
    convinced that it is the right model for this bike

I'm a bit worried that it will spill once the bike gets hot etc.

Any one have some sort of a "lesson learnt" story
    or I got nothing to worry about?

2. Bloody pommies put it in the wrong way.

Is it a sealed type or does it have a breather hose? If it's got the hose then you've go no hope.

3. hehe I guess there ain't enough room to stand it up
    Does the Daytona have a standing battery?

The new battery doesn't have a hose, but there is a little hole on top that could be a suspect breather?

but saying that I have no idea

4. Daytona's the right way up. though I suspect that was more good luck than good management.

I couldn't be sure of the battery, but id they insisted, I'd give it a go and take it back if they were wrong.

Fill it up (if it isn't already) and put it on a charger on it's side. If it doesn't like that, then take it back.

I've seen batteries almost laying on their back (maybe 30 deg up), but never on their side.

5. do not try to use a lead acid battery on its side, definitely not a good idea.

6. +1 Get yoursef a Gel battery...lead acid on it's side doesn't bear thinking about :shock: