Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bathurst - Mark Porter Dead????

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Miss_dj, Oct 8, 2006.

1. DOes anyone know if the reports are confirmed???
    Has Mark Porter died????

2. I am so thoroughly disgusted with the crass media manipulation that has been carried out by the race organisers over this poor man's death. Yes, his death has been confirmed; it SHOULD have been the same night as the accident, but to keep up the crowds and the interest in Sunday's race, and not to divert attention away from the Peter Brock worship planned for the day, it wasn't till the race was over. The people responsible for this evil act should be named and shamed.

3. If that's the truth Paul, then that's simply unbelievable and unforgivable.

4. what the f##%????. that's discraceful if true!!!!!

5. Hornett, do you know for a fact that he was confirmed dead on the night of the accident?

Condolences to the family and friends of Mark Porter

6. Shite! RIP

Been a bad couple of weeks for motorsport.

7. me thinks thats crap...
    basically...I think you are just plain wrong!

here is the press release.... today approx 7.45pm

V8SCA
    Oct 8 2006
    MEDIA STATEMENT FROM THE FAMILY OF MARK PORTER
    8/10/2006

With untold sadness the family of Mark Porter advises that Mark has passed away.

The family wishes to convey their heartfelt appreciation for the efforts of the medical crews who have been involved all the way through – at the track, at the Bathurst Base Hospital and at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, and all of those who transported Mark between those facilities. They gave Mark every chance at life, for which we thank them.

The family also expresses their appreciation of the efforts of the officials of V8 Supercars Australia, all of whom have done their utmost to support all those involved in this tragedy.

The family conveys their best wishes to David Clark and those close to him and wishes him a complete recovery.

The Porter family also passes on their sincerest thanks to all of those who have conveyed to us their best wishes and prayers since Friday afternoon.

The family asks that the media respect the privacy of our family at this very emotionally stressful time.

The Porter Family

http://www.racenews.com.au/?racenews=36488

I reckon
    one should wait for the Police report or the Coroners report
    before spouting off....

8. It's official
    http://tinyurl.com/s6qmd
    Race driver Mark Porter died today after he suffered massive injuries in a crash at Mount Panorama on Friday while preparing for the Bathurst 1000.

Porter died at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Sydney today after suffering serious head and chest injuries in a 180kph crash with David Clark during a second tier V8 race at the Bathurst 1000 meeting.

The Gold Coast based New Zealander leaves behind his wife Adrienne and one-year-old son Flynn.

He was 31.

His parents had flown in from New Zealand and were at his bedside.

Porter's family issued a statement tonight announcing his death "with untold sadness".

"The family wishes to convey their heartfelt appreciation for the efforts of the medical crews who have been involved all the way through - at the track, at the Bathurst Base Hospital and at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital and all of those who transported Mark between those facilities," the statement said.

"They gave Mark every chance at life, for which we thank them.

"The family also expresses their appreciation of the efforts of the officials of V8 Supercars Australia, all of whom have done their utmost to support all those involved in this tragedy."

Clark, 28, regained consciousness this morning and is breathing unaided after he was taken to Nepean Hospital in Penrith in a critical condition on Friday.

His Optima Sport team said the Adelaide father of three is recovering well from a punctured right lung and has fractures to his pelvis, right arm and leg, while tests have not revealed any significant spinal or head injuries.

Clark woke from his induced coma with his wife Leah, eight-month-old daughter Reese and parents by his bedside.

While climbing the mountain circuit on the 12th lap of the 14 lap development race on Friday, Porter suddenly spun his Holden Commodore sideways, stalled and was left stranded in the middle of the track in an area blinded to oncoming traffic.

Clark sent his Ford Falcon sideways in an attempt to escape collision but crashed directly into Porter's driver's side door at around 180kph.

Ambulance crews needed cutting equipment to free Porter through the passenger's door and immediately commenced CPR on the track.

He was taken by ambulance to Bathurst Base Hospital and was airlifted later that day to RPA.

V8 Supercars Australia said they would launch a thorough investigation into the crash.

9. No, what I meant was that he was clinically dead when they pulled him out of the car, and they kept up the charade of him 'fighting for his life' for the whole weekend, when they should have done the decent thing by his family and fessed up to the facts right then. I just think it was hypocritical, and put commercial interest ahead of human compassion

I stress, that's my OPINION.... (but I have been involved with enough race-track deaths from many different aspects to know what procceses should be put in place...)

10. It doesnt say when he died, so how do you know hornet is wrong?

11. In smee's post and in the web links it states he died today

12. Report I read is that they were performing heart massage as they pulled him from the wreck. Technically he was clinicaly dead, whether they revived him or not I am anawares.

If what Paul states is the case then that is pittyfull.

Until it can be cofirmed, all we can say is RIP Mr. Porter.

Indeed a sad couple of weeks for motorsport :(

13. Why would the doctors go along with a lie? What benefit is it to them?
    People are on life support all the time and it takes a few days before they switch off and pronounce dead.
    Doctors and family make that decision not the media, only channel 10 had anything to gain anyway.

14. What they mean is they turned off the life support today.....

Anyway, racetrack deaths have a huge impact on lots of people, and condolences are in order for this man's wife and children, and all who loved him. One human being who dies is irreplaceble, however and whenever it happens....

15. At a guess I'd say he was on a machine and maybe the family turrned it off today.
    We won't know and like vic said it's a sad day and sad month for motorsport.

16. Yes sorry, Smee posted while I was typing my post. Should have quoted Smitty.

17. I would therefore assume you were the official or ambulance officer who pulled him out of the car....?

If it's true - i agree. But untill such evidence is proven I dont think we can make bad comments about the motorsport media on this topic.

EDIT - After reading Vic's post i can see your point of view. But i doubt doctors would lie just to suit the media. :? me=confused

18. jeebuz, it just keeps happening... :(

19. Huh??? They should have announced him confirmed dead when he was still on life support? And theoretically still had a chance of survival, however small. That would be very inconsiderate to his family and friends IMHO, apart from completely irresponsible, what a load of dribble Hornet.

That is MY opinion :)

When these things happen, especially to people such as this with a young family, I really hope they were smart enough to have anticipated the possibility of such a scenario and have made sufficient arrangements for their families future, i.e. life insurance to provide income for the family left shattered. The last thing his wife and child need is to have to struggle through life, financially challenged. A wake up call for all of us in this regard I think. If you haven't taken these steps, DO IT NOW!!

That's the end of my lecture :grin: :p

R.I.P Mark Porter :cry: