Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Basics checklist for the bush

Discussion in 'Adventure/Enduro' started by Lennyburger, Oct 21, 2008.

1. :shock: I've just finished packing for my weekend away from the family. It's the first time I've been on a bike ride in the bush overnight for near 14 years. It seems like so much more stuff than when I used to go with my mates for a weekend ride 15 years ago...gee I feel old.
    I'll be riding about 200km of tar to get to a bush block on the shores of Lake Eucumbene up in the Snowy Mountains N.S.W Australia. Lots of dirt trails when I get there and plenty of fishing. For an overnight stay I have the following.....
    - Got the '85 DR600 carry rack loaded with a sleeping bag and tarp
    Backpack has the following -
    - wet/cold weather riding overalls [ takes up the bottom part of the hiking backpack where a tent might sit ]
    - towel [ in case I go swimming or get wet]
    - shorts, boxers, warm socks, long pants, long shirt, warm riding gloves, beanie.
    - tackle box: assorted lures,hooks, sinkers, cigarette lighter, swivels, knife.
    - 2 x cup-o-noodles, 6 muesli bars, 2 minute noodles, 2 tins tuna with flavour, packet of Twisties, tin of ham, tin of soup 440mL [ used later to cook up the water for the noodles]
    - digital camera + batteries [they double for the torch]
    - LED head torch
    - bug-off spray [could be really handy]
    - couple rolls of toilet paper [very handy]
    - fishing rod [ strapped to the side of the backpack ]
    - fork and spoon
    - pair of joggers so the MX boots don't get too hard on the feet.
    - wallet and credit card for emergencies and beer.
    The original toolbox was so insufficient I built my own out of checker-plate aluminium. It'll fit a 300mm shifter, tyre levers, hand pump, spanners, screwdrivers, hex keys, patch kit, spark plugs [yes, the DR takes 2], pliers and spare chain link. If I need more I'll probably need a rescue helicopter.

If the exhaust isn't too loud, I'll probably take an MP3 player on the ride up into the twisty, green forests of the alps so some extra btteries will probably be in my pocket.

I hope this is enough for my ride on the 24th October 2008, if not I'll let you know what I forgot eh!
    I'd just like to say that on some of the posts for touring I've seen, people go way overboard. Like needing a book to read while I'm camping, I can do that at home. I go bush to embrace nature, not to get away from it. I've fit all my stuff in my hiking back-pack, which weighs nothing whilst it rest on the seat of the bike. So I hope it helps someone on their venture into the wild-dirt-yonder.
    Happy trails and let us know how you go on your journeys?
  2. Yeh mate you forgot one thing............ me! That sounds bloody awesome! Have fun!

3. [quote="Lennyburger]The original toolbox was so insufficient I built my own out of checker-plate aluminium.[/quote]

Ya gotta pic? Or take some while you're away and post up when you get back.

Enjoy the trip and safe travels
  4. UHF is a good idea, if you can get your hands on one
  5. The Tool box pics

With the cover on,
    Without cover. I hinged the lid on the back and use a padlock to secure it. All up it cost under $7 for materials $4.50 just for the lock.
    The UHF idea is pretty good, looked at them today but the range of cheaper handheld units is a bit disappointing. In the mountains it'll be even worse, about a couple of km. Seeing that I have mobile coverage at the off-road end I'm not too worried. I'm putting together a first aid kit now, almost forgot it....
  6. When Jay goes fishing on the bike, he cable-ties the rod to his handle bars...may be a different way to do it instead of on the backpack?

We took firelighters with us...cheap, little and make firestarting sooooo much easier :wink:

Take a good map. We used Hema and Rooftop maps when we were up that way and they were great!

If I were you, I'd also take a good book :oops: :wink: :LOL:

Could also be worthwhile throwing a beanie in...may be cold at night/early morning.
  7. Lennyburger.

i am green with envy.
    you have it sorted.
    if there are two things i love more than my family...it is trail riding and the NSW Alps. (my 'blokes-world garage' has 2 themes..Dirtbikes and Snowboards)
    Go forth and enjoy!
    i wish i was following your tracks

8. Good use of space for the toolbox :cool:

Have seen welding rod tubes used in the same spot.

Currently use a fender tool bag, but strap it to the rear rack after an off split the mudguard :cry:

How many tyre levers? I take three (supposedly much easier than two) including one that has a ring spanner to fit the rear wheel nut (removes need for big shifter) and these are cable tied low, near the pillion pegs.
  9. replies

Yup, I've tied the fishing rod to the handlebars before, but there's a bit too much clutter there now with the speedo, barks busters, mirrors, cables etc. I've already plotted my journey via the maps on the net and also I've been there before anyway. I'm not taking a book as there won't be time to read...about ten other guys are gonna be there on "toy" bikes [read: cheap import 125s] so it'll be flat out. Plus the fishing will keep me busy in the wee hours of dawn when I shall be clad in Beanie, already packed, in near zero temperatures.
    Thanks for the compliments about the tool box, it would fit 3 or more levers but I've only got 2. I made them myself as well though it is so long ago I can't remember when or where. Looking in a magazine yesterday, my levers are almost identical to the ones they recommend you buy from the big manufacturers. Sheer fluke I reckon. I can get the wheel off with these 2 anyway, already practiced when I had to fix the buckle in the front wheel.
    This ride is one that we'd planned way back when I was in school. To my knowledge none of my friends have done it yet so I'll be the first. :( It's getting a bit emotional now....

Looks like I'm leaving this afternoon so I'll be thinking of you whilst leaning into the tight corners of the mountain ranges whilst descending into Sue City, Talbingo Dam, cruising along the plains of Kiandra snow fields, chuggin up the red clay powerline road onto my mate's farm and sinking a cold one when I sit at the water's edge of Eucumbene.
  10. Lennyburger.
    may your rubber remain on the down side.
    you mentioned the Kiandra snow and chuggin' froth..
    it nearly brought a tear to me eye..
    enjoy, ya lucky bugger.

11. Lenny.
    Up here we take lots of water,tyre plugger kit,tape.basic tools.oh yeah beer :LOL:
  12. [​IMG]
    O'Hares Rest area at the top end of Talbingo Dam.
    The campsite at Eucumbene.
    After nearly 4 years of no riding, nearly ten for off-road action, the body was a bit sore when I got there. The backside felt it the most. The winding roads up into the mountains on the Elliot Way were absolutely awesome. The only bit I didn't like was the open road and 100km/h, just too much wind noise in the trailbike helmet so the MP3 player didn't get used much at all. Cruising around the trails on the property was excellent once I ditched the camping gear. The only things I didn't use in the list that can be left behind next time were the towel [too cold for swimming] the leather riding gear [I was in the full overall suit cause it was so cold up there, apparently snow fell the night before i went up] and the warm weather clothes. Caught no fish except for a bite before sunrise. Got home and realised that i will need in future some chapstick, my lips got so wind burned on the way back, and some cloth around my neck to stop the velcro collar on the overalls irritating my freshly shaven throat.
    Everything went well mechanically apart from an annoying oil leak I still haven't got plugged properly, and a new leak from the kickstart shaft seal. In future I won't be wearing a hiking backpack either, it's okay while resting on the seat but if you lean forward to reduce wind drag, the pack acts like a parachute and kills the lower back area as well as the shoulders. Less weight next time, basics only. Happy trails peoples, turn the tar to dirt.
  13. Magic spot - thanks for the pics

And loved the tarp tent :cool:
  14. Great pics/story Lenny, good to see you are living out your dreams!

Was also up in the High Country with a few others on the weekend, covered just under 1000k's in three days (half sealed, half dirt). Broke my clutch cable Friday night, but managed to replace it with fencing wire, which is still doing the job! (thanks Omeo Hardware!).
    Had a big 'off' on Sat arvo, fair bit of gravel rash to the GS, and a couple cracked ribs/bruised hip/countless bruises to me (Still off work!)
    Managed to complete the ride, McKillops Bridge (Snowy River) is an awesome spot for ADV riding, highly recommended.
    Sorry no photos yet, still trying to get them off the 'damaged' camrea!

'Pirate' Pete.
  15. Yeah, that'd be an awesome trip for sure. And your taking a fishin rod :grin:

Good stuff
  16. Looks awesome! :D One day.. :grin: