Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Basic St John's Training

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Kit, Jun 8, 2008.

1. For those of you that haven't undertaken a St John's course, there's an online "Emergency First Aid for Road Users" course that St John Ambulance is currently offering for free which is usually $19.95.

Covers what is generally taught in a Senior First Aid course if you're looking to do one in the future. A good refresher for those that have already taken a course.

Not affiliated with St John Ambulance, but figured the more riders out there that can lend a hand when things take a turn for the worse, the better.

Link: http://www.stjohn.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=277&Itemid=310

Stay safe this long weekend :]
  2. I passed, 100%! :grin: lol

It's good, thank you for posting it, everyone should do it.
  3. I would be happier if everyone went and did a proper 1st aid course. Looking at pictures on the internet and spending 2days learning/practicing are not the same thing. :)

Still I guess not eveyone's going to get their 1st aid certificate so this is better than nothing. :)
  4. Couldn't agree more. I did a stint in "The Shire" when I was a paramedic and have lost count of the number of accos I went to in the Royal NP.

Bearing in mind how long it might take for an ambulance to get to you in the Nasho, the amount of first aid knowledge of your riding buddies could genuinely be the difference between life and death.

I've been to jobs where the passers-by have been stood around pointing whilst their mate has been bleeding out. I distinctly remember one job where a guy had lost his foot after clipping another bike going in the other direction. Not a big stack, but this guy ended up GTG [gone to god] because nobody thought to stop the blood loss. [Also a good ad for wearing boots, not runners, on the bike].

I've also been to jobs where other bikers have done everything right, applied their first aid training and really helped out both their mate and the ambos.

That said, statistically, the chance of getting someone back from a traumatic cardiac arrest is ZERO%, so you cant' fix everything but I'd be much happier if I knew the people that I ride with have done a first aid course.