Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Basic Maintenance Handbook....

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Grunge, May 19, 2006.

1. Would anyone be able to reccomend me any basic maintenance handbook for a bike?

I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to these kind of stuff and I know that at least if I learn to take basic care of my bike when I get it in 2 days time after my learner's (which I think is why I am restless and up at 7 am today!) it would help.

Any reccomendations anybody? I'm not too technically oriented and I don't have any aspirations to be a mechanic, just want to know how to do the basic, like top up liquids and maybe if it's easy, change the oil filter/oil.

Thanks everyone!!!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! 2 more days!!!!!!
  2. I'd check out Haynes from the UK. They have a book on basics and a series that goes more indepth into the different areas; electricals, fuel systems amongst others.
  3. I just bought the book G mentions this week. Took about a month to order from mcgills online for $47 all up (price + postage). Seems good, I'm going to check it out in depth on the weekend and/or tonight
  4. Wot's the name of the book so I can order it?
  5. Check the Technical Bookshop in the city.
    They have a fair few of the Haynes manuals aswell as quite a few other general maintanence books, and a couple of interesting ones like 'How to set your bike up for the drag strip'. :grin:
  6. See? I knew I typed the wrong thing in the search fields.... ugh. :p Either that or the post was too far away that I didn't see it in the first page.

7. Search is broken. I searched for haynes + book (2 seperate searches) and couldn't find it. I got it by looking through my total posts.

So, search is broken as heaps of other searches I know of things that have results simply don't turn up
  8. I've been reading a book that I bought there called the Secrets of Motorcycle Detailing published by the Whitehorse Group. It has some great tips on cleaning your bike. :grin:
  9. I bought the Honda Common Service Manual and read it from cover to cover except for some of the electrics and two stroke stuff. I learnt quite a bit but was disappointed in that I was referred to the Bike Specific Manual on so many occasions in particular every time I thought where it could be useful to me. There was a very interesting section on fasteners.