Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Basic bike electrics

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by matressking, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Hi All,
    Just in the middle of putting a repairable write-off back on the road and have come to the fun part. The electrics!

I did electronic and computer engineering in uni so am pretty handy with a soldering iron and the other bits and pieces. No problems reading a schematic etc

But, I was wondering if any of you could recommend some reading on putting that all to use on a bike? I've searched here and google and have come up with a few books but any input is appreciated.

I just would prefer not to make typical noob mistakes and root a battery or worse!

Tips welcome too.

2. And one more thing. Do you think with the jobs I have to do (wire pretty much the entire front end with an aftermarket dash and indicators and headlight from a different bike) i'm better off leaving it to someone who knows what they're doing, or is it pretty straightforward?

3. I would say that you will reduce the extent of your work if you can get a second hand wiring loom for the bike from a wreckers. Even if you have to modify plugs etc for the different headlights etc you have chosen it will still give you a good base to start from.

Creating a complete wiring loom from scratch is a non trivial exercise.
  4. Year ago, Haynes used to do a "Motorcycle Electrical Manual" or similar title, which I remember as being pretty good for a generic, non-brand specific volume. They might still do it. If so, I'd recommend it although it may not be absolutely bang up to date.
  5. If you have the confidence and knowledge, it is a DIY job, with many many hours of researching, splicing and testing.

I'd get the wiring diagrams for the bike you are working on, and the donor bikes and study those thoroughly, work out what you want to do and go from there.

If you don't have the confidence to do that, then spend the $$$ and find someone that will do that.

6. Yep, that's the way to go, pretty straightforward if you've got the right wires all the way to the front.
  7. Cheers for the replies guys.

Loom is intact and i have the stock gauge (buggered) so i'm going to use the connector from that.

i've had a look at the wiring diagram and it looks straightforward.

will give it a go next weekend!
  8. I went searching a while back for that Haynes book and, yes, it's still readily available (from Haynes I'm pretty sure, but might have been Amazon or something).