Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bargaining Advice

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by SJPJ1982, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Hey all,

I'm about to go out in the next few days and buy a Hyosung GT250R (yes i know there are some strong opinions about them but I'm comfortable with the choice given a few mates have them and the dealer up this way has a very good rep for service, warranty etc).

Anyway the current going rate is $6990 on road, is it worth trying to negotiate this down, or would I be better off trying to get a good deal on some gear, since ill need that too?

I'm happy to spend $8000 total.

Advice is appreciated, cheers.

2. Hey SJPJ,

Good luck in your new purchase and hope everything works out as you want it.

I was in the same boat as you at the start of the year and went to a lot of dealers but found the service they offered far from satisfying and made a purchase of a near new 2nd hand bike from the trading post and had a much more pleasant buying experience and couldn't be happier.

This way I am not stuck to particular shops to get it serviced even though it still has warranty at the end it worked out to be more flexible.
  3. SJPJ,
    Mate, I believe you've already answered your own question :p
    Seriously, developing a good relationship with a motorcycle parts/service centre can prove very worthwhile, especially in the long run.
    I am a firm believer of trying the system, at least once. If they can't offer a discount on the bike itself, definitely try and incorporate cheaper parts (eg riding gear, chain cleaner/lube, tank pad etc,etc) as part of the sales transaction.

I am sure your bargaining skills are well accomplished, however if you/any others for that matter need some refresher courses, a quick trip to Hong Kong's 'Sham Shui Po' or 'Lady Street Markets' can prove very valuable :)

All the best with your purchase. Don't know much about the Hyosung but have you considered any other similar types ? The GS500/F and CB400 receive great writeups/mentions here in these forums.

Cheers mate.
  4. They should be paying you to take 1 :D
  5. Yeah I have considered other types, but I like the idea of the 2 year W/ty. I'm getting a loan over 2 years that works out well.

Reason being Ive bought cars privately 2 times and both times it has been a disaster (even after a mechanics inspection) and even if I get 2nd hand from a dealer I'm only going to get the stat. 3 month w/ty.

There is not a great deal of variety in LAMS 2nd hand stuff from the dealers up this way, i.e they has a GS500 2 years old with 18,000 on it for 500 bucks MORE than the Hyo. And all the other new options are a little out of budget, like I said I want 8 grand over 2 years, as I can afford that, and I dont want to get a higher amount over a longer time frame as in 2 years probably be well and truly ready to upgrade to something nicer and don't want to have to worry about owing money on it when I go to trade.
  6. Mate, all the best with your purchase. Just consider perhaps (same advice passed on to me some time ago) that you might be 'over' a 250cc sooner than you plan.
    Safe riding and pics please (y)
  7. I bought a 1 year old 2nd hand bike with 1 year of the original manufacturers warranty still remaining on it. If you are lucky to score a near new 2nd hand bike whether be from dealer or private you will still be entitled to the balance of the initial 2 year warranty.

I agree that buying 2nd hand cars can sometimes be a nightmare. When buying my 2nd hand bike I was lucky in the sense that the seller was nearly 70 years old and was upfront, honest & legit.

Unfortunately not all sellers are like that. Good luck with your choice and I'm sure there are other alternatives within your budget such as a ninja 250.
  8. that's cause it's an incredible bike and hugely worth it!
  9. If you're getting it from a dealer, before you start negotiating the buying price mention that you are a bit thirsty and when he tells you where they keep the drink machine or water fountain, offer him a drink too. If he says he doesn't want one, *INSIST*. Unless he has been exposed to the rule of reciprocity, he will feel compelled to do you a favour and give you a better deal. Careful though, many places have rules against offering things, if you can get the salesman in a quieter area where you can bend the rules a bit.

Giving something first is a VERY strong persuasion tactic. Ever had the hari krishna's come up to you and offer you a book or a smile sticker then ask for a small donation for a homeless shelter that they are raising money for? Those that have may have noticed an increased feeling of indebtedness to the person.

Obviously these things are not full proof and are not guaranteed to work but they are worth a shot as they can potentially be quite helpful.
  10. Negotiate a good deal on gear and see where it gets you - a lot of manufacturers this time of year (coming up to end of financial year) will be keen to offload stuff so may heavily discount riding gear for you, if not give you some for free with the purchase of a motorcycle.

Either way its a buyers market. Good luck with your purchase man.

- boingk
  11. you can probably get your gear cheaper at AMX then through a dealer.
    could look at oggy knobs, luggage racks etc and see what deal they can do. try for free first service? chain lube? (My mate got .... when he bought his bike). worth a go on the price though. see what peter stevens are selling them for and if your bloke will match the price. web site says there is $1000 cash back?
  12. Where are you at mate? A few dealers in Syd are offering GS500Fs for around the price your about to spend on a 250.
  13. No, that's because they are ripping off learners.

I picked up a 2006 GS500F with 12,000Ks on it for under $5K
  14. You can get a discount off the purchase price for a Hyo. Stevos at Ringwood will do it as will Stevos at Geelong. Just ask them what they can do for you. That's all I did when I bought one. It was as simple as that. I didn't even have to bargain and they both gave a good price (compared to RRP - there's plenty here who would say that they would have to be paid to take one). I already had my gear though (got it on sale so was cheaper than the 10% dealers offer when you buy a bike). Ask them for the package deal price since you need gear.

Here's a word of warning. The Stevos dealers say the service intervals are every 4,000 km. If you take them up on that and pay their higher service costs then that'll add up to a lot in the warranty period if you ride your bike a lot. A GS500 for $500 more will be more than made up over a Hyo during the time you own it and at sale time.
  15. re-sale value in a years time is worth considering.
    hyo = aprox 0 dollars, because who the **** would buy a second hand hyo.
    jap bike = probably just about break even on a lams model.

assuming you only want the bike for a year that is.. then that's 6000 bucks down the drain
  16. demand you want extra gear thrown in. Let him choose between
    1.Dropping the price of the bike by $500
    2.Throw in a Helmet and jacket (decent quality) for free.

Advice: be very firm with them, trust me iv threatened to walk out and take my business elsewhere for them to stop me at the door!
    And if they let you walk theres plenty of other dealerships.
    If they don't bargain with you they dont want to do business.
    Dont let them throw you around, if you feel hot headed just go and 'run an errand' or something
    Let us know how you go.
  17. Where are you getting this data from. From Redbook:

2009 Hyosung GT250R
    Price when new (RRP) $6,990
    Private price guide $4,500 - $5,300

Thats hardly $0 and a drop of between 24 and 36%

So lets compare it to a Japanese Lams bike.

2009 Suzuki GS500F
    Price when new (RRP) $8,490
    Private price guide $5,600 - $6,700

Thats a drop of between 21 and 34% which is much the same as the Hyosung but you will note that it is also more dollars lost in absolute terms.

Never have ridden a Hyosung but I don't like the bashing of any bike especially when the facts don't support it.
  18. I hate the negotiation part of a purchase or sale. The buyer generally goes for the "faults with the product" method and goes from there. When I sold my bike, I advertised it at once price, but once someone seemed genuinely interested I said "The list price is X, but to save the whole negotiation process, you can buy it for Y. If it doesn't sell in a few weeks, I'll drop the price again and if you want give you a call".

When buying a bike I do the same thing right up front. List price is X, I'm happy to pay Y, and assuming you can meet my price I'm happy to put a deposit down right now. If not that's totally OK - I get that you need to get the best price - but I'll call around and see if I can find someone who can meet my price. If not, I'll give you a call back and you may end up with the business anyway".

No-one likes the hard bargainer so just be matter of fact up front about it, don't play games the insult someone's intelligence, don't piss fart around wasting people's time, and don't quibble over a couple hundred bucks when you're spending 8k.
  19. Just to add to the above, the buyer put a deposit down right away on my sale. Maybe I didn't need to drop the price? But I'd rather have lowered it than have the conversation where he goes on and on about whether or not its worth buying, have him go away to think about it, etc.

When buying, you don't want to end the conversation on a note that you wouldn't be happy coming back to the guy later. If it's a dealer, you may well see him EVERY time you drop your bike in for a service, and it may pan out than you can't get the price you want and you end up wanting to buy it from him anyway - you don't want to do it with your tail between your legs.
  20. well first of all friction, you obviously have not had the pleasure of learning bargaining skills. It is a part of buying ANYTHING, and if you choose to simply ignore it, that is plain ignorance. I believe in the phrase 'Money saved is money earned' so if you can save $200-$300 by talking to a guy for 15 minutes, isnt that worth it?

Secondly-why the hell would you take your bike into a dealership for a service? I understand warranty issues and all of that but if the dealer is an asshole then firstly you wouldnt have bought the bike off him, secondly there are dealers all over town. Who cares if you have to travel and extra 10 minutes to get a warranty service? If the service is better than i think its worth it!
    All rookies should try to learn how to maintain their motorcycle as soon as they can-(using the owners manual/ Maintenance Manual) It is very easy to learn and depending on how many k's you do in a yearm it may save you several thousand dollars a year!

Edit: Do your research before you go into a shop and start bargaining with a dealer, you must know what you are talking about and use something related to the bike to use as leverage (age/condition/servicing/current economic climate/personal finances/second hand market)
    Trust me ALL second hand bikes have bargaining built into their price
    good luck ;)