Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bar Weight - How hard is it to replace?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by Mr.Ed, Mar 12, 2008.

1. So one of my bar ends was missing, and when I bought a new one, I realized that the part of the bar weight that is supposed to connect to it was sort of missing (kinda like it cracked off). I can still screw it in, and it will hold in place without a problem. Now I'm thinking of buying a new one and installing it myself, but only if it's not rocket science as I lack both the intelligence and the tools for that kind of job! So if it involves something like removing the bars (I'm assuming that's hard!! :p ), just tell me to fork my hard earned money to a decent mechanic and I'll be happy doing just that! :)
    Just so you can evaluate my mechanical expertise (or the lack of it) I've changed my slip on (underseat) and found it to be a bit demanding but not too complicated. I'm also planning on changing my oil and filters soon (oil+air) as I think I'm capable of doing that much... :shock:

2. I'm not sure if the RR series bikes have the same set-up as my Hornet, but on my bike the bar-end weight screws into a cast alloy "slug" that fits inside the bar and is held in position by two rubber "O"- rings. Often the weight itlsef is OK, but in a fall the end of the alloy slug breaks off and only the rubber "O" - ring holds the weight in place. You may have to replace the alloy part, even if the end-weight itself is OK.

3. I reckon that's exactly what happened!!! Is it hard? :LOL:

4. No, easy as. Spray some WD-40 into the end of the bar (with the weight off, of course), and grab the alloy bit with a pair of needle-nose pliers and pull it out. It isn't easy because the o-rings are designed to hold it in, but it will come. They you just buy a new alloy bit and put your o-rings on it, put it back into the bar end, and screw the weight onto it.