Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bar end weight causes throttle to jam and stick

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by spooks, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Hi All,

I was missing a bar end weight on the clutch lever side and finally got around to picking one up for my modest Honda CB250. I thought I'd take the bar end weight off on the throttle handle to check that I had all the parts for the other side. I put the new bar weight on the clutch lever side handle. Then I put the bar weight back on the throttle side handle and now is causes the throttle to jam and stick.

I noticed that the bar end weight and the inner handle weight mate with near C or half 'O' shape and that the throttle grip had previously worn from the bar weight. Is there some way I can adjust the position of the weight in reference to the handle and it's grip?
  2. Here's a photo of the bar end

3. It's the throttle grip that's causing it to stick.
    You may have to fiddle with it as it looks like it may have been pushed further towards the other end.
    It's not the bar weight end that's sticking.
  4. Thanks Guys. My luck the grip just doesn't want to budge. Any tips on adjusting the grip.
  5. Go the washer fix.
    Large washer.
  6. You'll need to get it off, because there is a spacer which mimics the profile of the inner socket, and goes between the weight and the socket, and you look to have lost it.

You can make another one of you have the skills, (as long as you have one to use as a template) or you will need to buy one from Honda. If you don't the weight pulls in too far to the bar end and jams the throttle, as you have found.