Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Baptism of ice!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by typhoon, Apr 19, 2006.

1. I've been waiting for a really good downpour to ride through to get a feel for it. This afternoon when leaving work, I saw a bit of a storm and thought I might clip teh edge of it on teh way home, this I thought would be cool.
    Wel, I got nailed! LOL! I had huge winds, hail about grape size and lots of rain. Was actually quite fun. I had no one behind me, and soft cock cagers were pulling over. I don't know why, visibility was good and the road was draining well. maybe to protect their precious sheet metal.
    Now I know the bike runs in teh rain, my jacket is dry, my helmet does not leak and my new rear tyre actually has something good to offer in the wet.
    I need to get some wet weather pants(strangely, jeans do not offer much in teh way of rain protection) and winter gloves too!
    What do people do to stop water getting in between their helmet and necks? I has some water coming in at teh back of my helmet. I think it was running along the lower edge of the helmet and dripping off.
    So, ride sensibly and don't panic and heavy rain is cool!

Regards, Andrew.

2. Hi Andrew, ride faster?

You are right about the rain it is kinda fun except for cagers who switch their brains off!

3. Sounds like fun, I love riding dirtbikes in the rain (mud.equals(fun) == true), with your recomendation I will have to give it a try on the road although I do remember being bloody cold in jeans the other friday night. :grin: :grin:

4. I like riding in the rain. Dunno why, more of an adventure, I guess. Wind, on the other hand...

5. Hey buddy,
    I dont fit in my dri rider pants anymore... i think they have shrunk in the rain. I now am using my old snow pants that i slip over my work pants, works a treat and keeps me warm.
    Well generally speaking if its cold and raining ill pull a neck warmer over which keeps the rain off and keeps the neck warm.
    Just purchased MUFFS for the handlebars lke the ones bikie couriers use. Must say they are superb! looks kinda funny on a sports bike but i dunna care!

6. Snow pants? Great, that gives me somewhere to look for some decent pants! Seems most of the bike gear doesn't go all the way up to fat bastard in sizing! LOL!

Regards, Andrew.

7. typhoon wrote:
    What do people do to stop water getting in between their helmet and necks?

I wear a bandana around my neck in the rain and in the winter. Works great.
    Soaks up water that would normally run down inside of collar.

8. Rainsuit + neck warmer seems to work for me. :)

Grape-sized hail! Damn, that musta hurt. Even heavy rain stings a bit in jeans, I've found.