Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bang for ya Buck

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by sonicbaz, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Riding a bike has to be the best value around. Is it me or do bikes seem to be more mechanically advanced and reliable than your average car?

IMO bikers being more descerning and more demanding is reflected in the build quality etc. It's a fantatstic credit to the riders and the industry and great for newbies like me because coming in to this completely fresh faced I get awesome value for money due to the hard work by my bi wheeled brothers and sisters. Where else can you get a complete change of lifestyle and an injection of passion for around 10k?

2. ...til you crash it...

3. 10k? try 2k... Now that's good value. Bikes were originally invented as cheap transport, and they still serve that role, although their financial and environmental benefits are never mentioned in mainstream society (with the exception of scooters).

Obviously I have a very different idea of what constitutes "bang for your buck" to you. I don't care about the high tech, or the build quality (which I think is actually really shabby on a lot of japanese bikes), I just love the incredibly cheap transport, no matter how slow, daggy, and low quality the bike.
  4. Sometimes I wonder about the whole, "a bike is cheaper to run thing".
    In the past 2 years I've owned 4 bikes, ranging in cost to purchase from $2500 to $16K.
    If you work on kilometers traveled:-

My hilux was serviced every 10,000 at about $175 -230 a service, was more or less depending on what I had done.
    My bikes are serviced every 5,000 ranging from $140 - $255 a service. And now my mate the bike mechanic has closed down, i'll be paying normal "200 +" prices again until I find a decent independant.

Insurance is a hell of alot more, 250 was $600 full comp, so that was cheaper, but the 600 was $1800 and funnily, the 1100 is $1350
    The Hilux was $800.

Bits for the bikes are $$$$, and even being a toyota didn't cost me as much when I had to replace a mirror etc.

I'm averaging 8L per 100km on the Blackbird atm, the hilux was 13L/100
    So yes, its cheaper in fuel.

Running maintainance on the bike takes alot longer, not that I complain, something amiss on the hilux is not biggy, i can pull over....something amiss on the bike, and im screwed!

Finally gear, My Hilux had a heater, and a roof, all i needed was an umbrella to get to it if it was raining....it also had a back seat for when the missus got fri...err....:D
    The bike, I've got boots at about $400, 3 jackets, although 1 I don't use, and should sell. Wet weather pants, gloves, helmets, we're talking another
    $1500 to $2K worth of gear.

Now, the hilux cost me $27K 5 years ago, and I just sold it, and now have an 82 BMW. This cost me $0, just reg and a new stereo....
    But! while you're all sitting there poised to attack me, I ride my bike daily, the cars sat there for a month and hasn't moved. I just seem to find my hand always going into my pocket for 'bike related' stuff.....
    On that note, time to head off and meet the guys for a ride..... :grin:
  5. For sure, sometime even a twofiddy can come close to costing as much as a small / old bomb to run about. But, to be fair I think you need to compare a bike to an equivilent car.

Then there is the whole riding is better than sex thing, and it's far cheaper than that.
  6. the bike costs less in petrol, thats about it. dont need to buy any special clothes to drive my car. it can cost a lot of money to get into bikes.
  7. You havent factored in the ohhhh wow phenomenon.

Me thinks there will be ZERo public interest as you chug by in your toyota,,, but when you roll by on your bird,, you KNOW everyone wishes they were you!

Doesnt affect the finance side, but i bet i know which one you have way more fun with- and that has gotta count for something ??? How much do you value your fun time?.
  8. Don't just compare it as a form of transport, you need to factor in that the bike is also a source of amusement and a hobby (if you do more than commute on it that is).
  9. Well, comparing like with like... what does a car that will accelerate like a 16k bike cost? ;)
  10. 10 second quarter miles aint cheap in cars, 16k should cover it though.
  11. I was thinking more pure acceleration - 0-100 km/h and so on

Second-hand R1: $16k

Second-hand Porsche Cayman: $150k

Both 2.5 s
  12. I think everyone here would agree that it is a lifestyle choice. Riding my motorbike is enjoyable in a different way to driving my sportscar. I enjoy both thoroughly, however the experiences are radicaly different. My original argument for getting a motorbike was to enjoy the feeling of the wind passing through you, that coupled with the fact they take up less room in the garage as opposed to a convertable :grin: If your looking at financial benifits, fuel consumption is not that different, however the lack of paying tolls and parking costs are certainly a big bonus. Happy riding to all is what I say.

13. Do you not have to pay tolls on the bike where you are? Here it's 70c on the Logan Motorway, which is just a massive pain in the arse - not the cost, but getting stopped, getting a glove off and into your pocket to pay the toll. Seems like for the increased facility of getting through the toll gates for everyone ('cos even if I'm quick I do hold people behind me up more than a car), and the miniscule revenue, it'd make a lot more sense just not to charge bikes.

Hints for easy toll payage on the bike welcome too.
  14. +1 :p
  15. Biking is an enthusiasts pursuit... enthusiastic pursuit of your wallet!

Cheaper on fuel is about all...

+1 Ktulu...

I wouldn't change it though.

16. I sold my 11sec qtr mile car :( when I bought my 10sec qtr mile bike :grin: .

I would have the bike any day. There's lots of stuff you can do in one and not the other from both sides of the arguement, you can't really compare them, apples and oranges.

It's yin and yang, what you gain in one area you lose in another. Outstanding performance and fuel economy at the sacrifice of passengers and passenger comforts. Nimble and manouvrable v's safer and more visible.

There is no such thing as a perfect vehicle that does everything for everyone, I've looked! :LOL:
  17. wardens right, there isnt much of a gap between a 'daily runabout' to a bike in terms of running costs, the problem i belive is with the industry, there is not a large differce in price to get into the hobbie, its either the retailer is marking it up majorly( but which retailer doesnt?) and the industries itself setting a higher price for RRP

its all eccomonics to me:p
  18. if you are just worried about running costs, you would be better off buying nothing better than a cb250. anything bigger, and a small car like a yaris or a colt or whatever would be a much cheaper option. problem with bikes is they generally have a shorter engine life, and they have many more replacable items on them, ie chain sprockets head bearing etc will only last 20000ks or so. the parts are much more expensive, an air filter will cost you 50 bucks! they are a very high maintinance peice of machinary, ive spent probably around 3500 on mine in the 5 months that ive had it, including a 1G at the grease monkeys last week for a major service and head bearing job, but thats my bad, i brought the bike just before alot of the expendable items needed replacing.
    im telling you, spending money to save it is a completly flawed principle, my commodore was a 1/4 of the price to maintain in every respect except for insurance and petrol, both of which are about three times more expensive. oh and by the way i wouldnt swap my bike for anything.
  19. Hmmm, does it matter?

I could go buy a brand new CBR600 RR for 12490+ORC. Factor in safety equipment etc, call it 15 grand.

If you can buy a car that'll come anywhere close to a CBR 600 RR for fifteen grand off the showroom floor, I'll eat my hat. It's an old dirty one too, probably not very tasty.

If you're looking at runabout costs, you can get a 100cc scoot for 2.5k new, or a 250cc bike for what, 5.5k new? I mean really... the cheapest new car would be what, 12 grand? the difference spent on fuel will take a CBF250 a long way (obviously there's service costs and stuff but you know :p)

Second hand blurs the whole situation a bit, as most cars have quite a few more k's left in them than you're average bike.
  20. A Cayman. 2.5s 0-100kmh. Dear-o-deary me. I doubt any Porsche except for a roadgoing 962 or Gemballa Mirage would 0-100kmh in 2.5s, and probably not even those.