Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bandit GSF250V won't start at random times.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Damo79, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Just wondering if someone else has this problem.
    It usually happens when i knock off work and go to start the bike. I turn the key and.... nothing. No life at all. If i turn it off and wait 5 min it can come back to life, so i am able to get around it.
    I do park the bike outside but always put a cover on it, but it is a naked bike and exposed to the elements.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. No life i.e. no ignition lights?

3. If no lights are coming on then there's obviously a fault in the electrics somewhere. Could be something as simple as a loose/dirty connection somewhere, however also possible that a wire may have become damaged even though the insulation remains intact. Of course also possible the ignition switch itself is faulty.

4. No ignition lights, no head light, nothing at all.
    Thanks for the responses guys.

5. Should be easy to find the problem then with a multimeter, though the tricky part with intermittent faults is getting them to happen when you want them to. Definately something that needs to be fixed though, before it decides to do it when you're riding.

6. check your battery terminals.

Undo them and clean them up.

A bad battery connection usually presents itself like this

7. I have checked the terminals and they look good.
    It has done it once when i was riding, i had to get my old man to come and pick me up and put the bike in the back of the van... that was fun.
    You have a multimeter don't you JD?
    What are you doing this weekend?

8. Yep I've got a multimeter. Should be able to find some time to help you this weekend too.