Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bandit 1250 or GSX-R750

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by modcon86, Jun 6, 2015.

1. First time posting in a while... back in the market for my second bike (first was a Suzuki Bandit 250, here). I have been trying to decide what style I am after, and narrowed it down to Sports/Sports Tourer/Standard... Basically something faired, 600-1250cc, Japanese, up to about 6-7 years old, and looking for 6000-9000. So I headed down to A1 today to test ride their Bandit 1250 and the GSXR600; ended up on the 750 instead.

Bandit 1250: this is 1000cc of an upgrade on my first bike, and has modern suspension, FI, ABS etc. Did I mention the 1000cc more? I know there are more torquey bikes out there, but holy $h!t it was effortless, just lunging forward to the speed limit before I'd adjusted properly on the seat. I'm sure experienced riders get used to the available torque/power of their steeds, but without anything to compare, wow! I just nudged 3500rpm, barely any of the useable power of the bike, and it just surges along, like a powerful V8 but so much more effortless. Changing gears, effortless as well, just snick-snick-snick... Opened it up in second for a few seconds and laughed in my helmet as I almost flew off the seat. Soooooo good.

GSXR750: getting on this crotch rocket (in lieu of the 600 I thought I has asked for) I actually understood the pejorative for the first time; you contort yourself over the fuel tank to ride this, as opposed to perching on the giant couch that is the Bandit. The grips are low slung, awkward at low speed coming off the curb to merge with traffic. A minute of using them and they felt natural, like the difference between a road bicycle vs a standard bicycle. Down low there is not a whole lot of much, but coming from a 250, it still flies to 60km/h, 80km/h in amongst the traffic. Turned to head through some local backroads, never getting more than 80km/h on the clock, but doing so in low gears, comfortably and easily. Again, I saw maybe 4000rpm, there is such an abundance of power, particularly in comparison with the 250. I felt myself compelled to lean on this bike, and although I probably barely did more than warm up the chicken strips on the rear, I feel that I would love getting to know this bike.

So, now I am more confused.

If you are heading out to decide on what format to buy, be careful how any things you try - it doesn't make it easier! I am living out past the Yarra Valley, so I have excellent roads for all kinds of riding. In terms of bike use, I will be commuting on whatever I end up on, and can see pros and cons for both of the bikes I tried today. I want to try a v-twin and and 600 sports as a comparison, and then go from there... I'll keep you posted!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Great post. :) it sounds like the bandit would be the better bike. But that's only me. I love naked ;)

3. Leaning towards the same opinion. I have a long commute too and thinking about what the bikes will be like throughout the cold winter, the more upright position works well for this. Just can't get over how effortless the Bandit feels.

4. I've got a 2010 GSX1250FA picked it up 2nd hand 60000 on the clock previous owner at it up with all the touring gear. Mate has an FJR 1300 he rode mine the other day couldn't believe how easy it was to ride. While his is comfortable to ride it seemed a bit barge like compared to the suzi. I love it more than enough power for me plenty of good torque you don't have to ring its neck to get there but if you want to she will give you enough to lose your license really quick.

• Like Like x 1
  5. The ninja 1000 is worth a look mate.

• Like Like x 1
  6. From what you have written I'd bet you'd love
    either a naked Suzuki SV1000 or the half faired :DSV1000S.

Nice and light for an inexpensive 1000cc bike too.

If you want stratospheric performance, and the lightest
    1000cc bike on a budget, I can hugely recommend
    an 04-05 Kwaka ZX10R.
    For a gorgeous looking, amazingly comfortable ( for a full on Superbike) that's as reliable as a hammer,
    these things are the way to go. Be warned though, these things don't
    suffer ham fisted fools. If you do go down this challenging path make
    sure you fit a steering damper straight away if it has not already
    got one. They do have a couple of quirks: the clutch lever action
    is a bit heavy and the gear shift feels a little "wooden" compared to
    the Suzi, but those caveats are well worth the quality of build and materials and performance that can launch you from a standstill
    to 300kmh in 19 seconds.

http://www.bikesales.com.au/private...X-10R]))&Service=Bikesales)&pso=0&pss=Premium

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. PS.

For fcuk sake, don't go trying to launch yourself "from a standstill
    to 300kmh in 19 seconds"... until you have done at least 40,000km
    on the thing if you get a ZX10R.

• Like Like x 1
  8. My advice is neither.
    Sounds like you are fairly new to riding , and you are looking for a mid sized road bike (assuming you will be doing a lot of commuting and you don't have a lot of bigger bike experience).The GSXR-750 is sports bike and the Bandit is a big bore Road bike.

Would you class yourself as a good rider ? If you don't answer yes without hesitation maybe you should look at other options. You can commute on anything you want but if you want to put some logic into the decision look at the criteria you have. You don't mention whether you plan to do track days or hit the hills on the weekend etc. ?

The GSXR is one of my favorite sports bikes and has been since they came out in the 80's. It's not designed for putting along in traffic and city riding. Of course it can be used for that, just not as easily as a road bike.

The banding is big, heavy and has lots of mumbo. You could easily get yourself into trouble on this bike, remembering you are coming from something 1/5th of the capacity.

I'm not a performance nazi, plenty of people have the natural ability to ride anything, and can go from a small low performance bike to a high performance bike. remember though It's not just throttle control, you have to be able to stop it and change direction quickly, particularly in traffic. I think you should at least have a ride on a 500-800 road bike that might be a better fit for purpose. Ninja 650 abs for example, that sort of thing maybe ?

Good luck with the decision.

9. Sorry double post.

10. I had in my head the idea of a few track days, but I can't see myself buying a bike just for those few days of skill development. Obviously you can track any bike, some are just faster than others.

Yes definitely hills aplenty - everything this side of the Yarra Valley is within 10 minutes. :) Also keen on some longer touring, which I feel the Big Bandit would soak up with ease.

I would classify myself as a safe rider, based on years of road cycling and on the riding I did on the little Bandit. My road awareness is extremely high, as is my defensive positioning.

In terms of good, well how can I define that without measuring? I've taken the little Bandit beyond it's capacity, and had to get traction back. This is obviously something that is going to be more of a risk with a bigger bike. I'm not buying something to become a hooligan, but I do want a bike that I can grow into, rather than just something for commuting just now.

Happy to try a midsize bike like that, but also want something that I am going to want to ride, rather than something purely practical or intellectually right.

I also feel that there is a difference between easily accessed power of the Bandit and a smaller bike - I am more likely to push the performance on something smaller to feel that I am getting the most from it.

I probably will head back in for another test ride, maybe something longer. I liked that I felt physically at ease on the big bike (quite tall 6'3").

11. Sounds exciting, but possibly a good way to find a use for my organ donor card :)

12. Haha hey I'm 6' 6" so I know the problems us taller people face with bike ergo's. It's a big factor in choosing a bike, sports bikes are not built for big guys these days. After 25 odd years of riding my neck is toast because of the endless hours hunched over looking up and forward on long trips on sports bikes. The older heavier helmets didn't help either.

A lot of dirt bike riders develop great riding skills before they get anywhere near the road. I also know guys who stayed on smaller bikes for many years longer than they had to for financial or other reasons so they were more experienced than it might appear. I try not to judge a book by it's cover so that's sort of what I was getting at with asking if you consider yourself as a good rider.

A good mate of mine has a Bandit and I've had a few rides on it. It is a solid bike, especially for the money and sounds like it might be a good fit ergonomically for you.

I'd still try as many other bikes as you can for reference and just for the fun of it.

Cheers
    Jimmy

13. Wise comment young man.

Take an SV1000 for a ride, you will love it, and it will.
    take much better care of you than the Kwaka...
    or the GSXR's of this world for that matter.

As similar as the SV1000 and the SV1000S
    are, they have different ergonomics.

The comfort factor is as much a function of limb to torso
    ratio as overall height... your 6' 6'' altitude noted.

• Like Like x 1
  14. #14 Barters81, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    Just going to throw it out there......

What about these:

- CBR650F or the CB650F.....Not the fastest bikes in the world but look pretty good to me as someone with a similar requirement from a bike.

- VFR800.......These I reckon are some of the sweetest sport touring bikes around if you can find one for a good price as they're a bit exy.

Or even a GSR750. Same motor as the GSXR750 with maybe better ergos for you.

15. And, to throw another one into the mix. How about a Honda CB900 Hornet. Fantastic engines, Honda reliable, will commute, will track, will tour and do day runs in the hills. I stepped onto this coming off a 250cc (although I had a RGV), found it very easy to ride and the increase in power wasn't a problem as long as you're sensible with the right wrist.

But, if you are narrowed down to the Bandit or GSX-R, i'd go the Bandit. Seems to fit what you are looking for in a bike more than the GSX-R.

16. I'm not against the sport ergos but I think they'd encourage me to ride the the bike how it's meant to be ridden, and don't think that my license would appreciate that. I'm mindful of the poor weather during winter, and for commuting would prefer more fairing than either the cb650f or gsr750. The VFR is one that I considered for a while, but feel like it's more complicated/expensive servicing wise, and for what reason?

17. Thanks for the advice all. Sprang for the Bandit. Delicious bike. Comfy commuter and tourer with a bit of poke to grow into. Couldn't be happier. Needs some bark busters and heated grips but otherwise just right.

Photos soon...

• Like Like x 5
  18. Congrats on the new acquisition. Good choice seeing as you're 6'6"... Not so much about
    the height of the bike, but you will cope with the "heft" of the unit.
    It's a big engine, externally as well as internally.

I hope you can say, "hello horizon" pretty quickly, otherwise that big Suzy will
    be there before you can say it. :|]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Congrats on the new bike. Since this thread has started I swear I've seen half a dozen brand new bandits on the road recently. They look like really nice bikes.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Cheers. Definitely a large bike which is quite accommodating. Not playing with the whole rev range just yet but its a slingshot in third from 70-80 upwards...

Taking it easy especially with the cold morning roads too.