Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ballpark figure for a minor service..?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Mia, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Hey all :)

I'm a complete noob looking at buying my first bike and I have a few on the shortlist: second hand Ninja 250's that all have less than 4000 k's on the clock.

Now, given it's not gonna be new (but still no more than 2.5 yrs old) and I don't have any idea about how my (potential future) bike was cared for by the previous owner, I thought it'd be a good idea to get the bike in for a minor service just to make sure it's all good to go.

What I want to know is around how much this minor service should cost? I've called some places and I've been quoted a range of prices, but I'm also very very VERY wary due to the fact that:

a) I'm a noob asking for a quote after having explained to them the situation/condition of the bike plus the fact it's my first, AND
    b) I'm a noob chick asking for said quote.

Can someone please help shed some light on this and put my mind at ease! I hate to be suspicious of people, but hey, I'd rather be cautious than naive.

Thanks in advance ;)
  2. Whip out the tools/bike's toolkit and do the service at home :) A hell of a lot cheaper, then perhaps if you still want professional eyes over it, just take it somewhere for a look over to make sure everything's cool.

I see you're in Melbourne. If you're not far out of the city, I'd suggest paying Everything 2 Wheels just north of the city a visit. Dude there is always helpful.

As for your actual question, I think when I started out I paid anywhere between $150 and $250 for a minor service. Which changed to the cost of oil, a filter and a little bit of my time to check over everything.
  3. Thanks twisties :D

Everything 2 Wheels ey? Yeah, they seem to have a lot of clients here. Might have to look into that more....

4. Yep, he's the man....
  5. I'd second you having a go at doing it yourself. It really isn't that hard and will save you money both this time and well into the future. You will need a bit of reading on the basic areas you need to check, and a few basic tools. I'd reccommend:

1 x ring & open-end spanner kit (metric sizes), SuperCheap stuff will do but a nice set (Repco, KingChrome etc) will last you a lifetime. Cost anywhere between $20 and $200. Alternatively look through the manual and see what size spanner you need for the oil plug and just buy that. Cost anywhere between $1 and $15.

1 x Allen (hex) key set (metric sizes). Cost between $5 and $25.

1 x oil drain pan ($5 to $10). Put under bike to catch used oil. Use an empty 20L drum (steel or plastic) to store used oil, and when its full take to the local service centre or rubbish tip and ask them to dispose of it.

1 x large (4 to 5 litre) oil pack. I would suggest either 'Shell 4T' (bluish pack, motorcycle on it) or 'Valvoline Armorguard 15W-40' (brown pack). Cost will be about $30~40, and will give you enough oil for 2 or 3 services, plus top-ups if you find you need them.

1 x oil filter. I would suggest getting either an original replacement item from your local dealer, or simply ordering a few off eBay. The eBay option will probably only be about $20 for 3 filters and is the way I'd go.

Now the total cost of that (cheap tools) is around the $90 mark, and will let you perform at least 2 oil and filter changes. Filters need only be done every second change, so you'll be set if you buy several at once. The tools will also come in handy for performing any other basic maintenance chores. They won't be shiny & made of fancy metal like the high-cost ones, but in my experience will perform just as well, provided you use the ring-end of the ring/open end spanners.

Cheers - boingk
  6. good posts people. yes, get a workshop manual, a good tool kit,and ask somebody handy to help you.service costs are sky high.it,s good to learn, and it,s a worthwhile hobby, and you know everything is done.i like cheaper, older bikes and enjoy tinkering with them,can,t afford new shiny,chromed ones, high maintainence/service costs.cheers=D>