Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bali Traffic = Fun!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Flylo, Oct 20, 2011.

1. #1 Flylo, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Went to Bali recently and decided to get some footage of the traffic with the GoPro. This is set on the 960p resolution.

I found the traffic, in general, being very predictive compared to drivers in Melbourne, as they weren't abrupt when manouvering. Drivers in Bali just pull out in front of you, but they do it slowly and give you time to adjust your speed or position on the road. I could not find one speed limit sign, and motorbikes would pass cars generally on the left side of the road towards the gutter.They also have a time countdown on the lights, so you know when they'll turn green. The motorbikes tend to take off a couple of seconds before the light goes green. Scooters seem to be the norm there, but you still can have alot of fun!
  2. yep, it all flows amazingly well considering the amount of traffic over there. Luckily its not often you need to go further than a few Ks.

remember: making eye contact is basically giving someone right of way!
  3. Yep... that pretty much sums it up.
  4. I got some gopro footage over there, I guess I should post it up one day. I had my gopro mounted to the speedo of the scooter, so dont really know what speeds I was doing!! The footage I got was a bit bumpy. Next time I will have the cam mounted on the helmet.

The only drivers you got to keep an eye on over there are the javanese bus and truck drivers. All the locals are good.
  5. Lmfao that looks amazingly fun.
  6. This makes me miss bali. i haven't been since i was 14 but i had so much fun over there.
  7. I love some of that splitting. Couldnt get away with it here i dont think.
  8. Could not stop laughing, that looks like an insane ammount of fun!!
  9. I can't help it, but every time passing a car at close range, I was just cringing waiting for the sudden move across by the car... But they all change direction slowly...

I'm not saying we should take their road rules and apply them here, but there has to be some lessons about sharing the road in that and mentality... People weren't protecting their space to the death...
  10. I'm thinking about going to Bali or maybe Thailand next year for a holiday with a few mates, is it possible to hire sportbikes over there? or are they mainly 125cc-250cc scooters, dirtbikes etc..

It definitely does look like fun though!
  11. Fuck that looks like fun!

Also I noticed at 1:33...there is a dude going in the opposite direction on the left! haha
  12. You can get ninja 250 in bali, but its not worth it. Scooters are just as good over there plus you can carry some shit with you. costs about $5 a day.
  13. Whats with you doing headchecks?
    No one else seemed to lol!
    And i dont think any bikes came to a stop at all
  14. Yeah I think you were easily spotted as a tourist by all the head-checking you did!
    I also think some of the beeping was for you ;)
    Chaos - I love it!
  15. I went to Thailand earlier this year and as everyone does - jumped on a scooter. The road rules are non existent at best, however due to the volume of two wheeled vehicles they actually pay attention and look for scooters/bikes.

Seemed weird to me that less road rules meant better driving but hey...
  16. Probably more to do with the volume of riders on their roads, so people are used to looking out for them.

We're a lazy country here.
  17. Wow that does look fun, but so is Russian roulette :eek:hno:
  18. Gave me the heebie jeebies! Much prefer what I'm used to.
  19. In Thailand yeah you can hire sports bikes at least in Patong beach, Phuket. Scooters are much more available and cheaper too. I think the sport bikes were 1-1500THB per day (from memory)
  20. I just recently came back from Thailand ! I hired a scooter and it was awesome. As chaotic as the traffic looks, it seems to flow very well once you are actually in the middle of it.

I did notice that no one ever does headchecks !