Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Balancing fitted tyres... optional?

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by blackadder, Apr 11, 2012.

1. I got Pilot Road 2s front and back installed yesterday at Bike Plus (internet tyres). Picked up the bike yesterday in a bit of a rush, rode home @60km/h.. no dramas. When I got home I realized the weights on rim were in the same positions and with the same amounts. I thought maybe coincidentally that it was exactly the same as the old tyre (fat chance).

Anyway, this morning riding on the freeway at 100km/h and the bikes rattling my bones. The damn thing is out of balance. Probably both front and back. Now I'll go home and balance them myself.

Same thing happened when I installed a rear tyre in December 2011 at a different shop. To be fair, I saw the guy try to balance them but didn't do a good job, started to shake again at ~85-90km/h. Got home and balanced them myself.

Now, here is my question... Is it an 'extra' service to get the tyres balanced when installed? Do I have to tell him, "please balance my tyres"? Isn't it part of the service of installing a tyre? Anyone experience the same thing?

2. Dodgy workshop.

Maybe they want to teach you a lesson 'cos you didn't buy the tyres from them.
  3. If you have the ability to balance them at home yourself, why don't you just fit them yourself too? Not having a go at you. Seriously it's not that hard a job you should do it yourself and save the $$
  4. :rofl:
  5. true true. as the old saying goes, if you want it done properly do it yourself.
  6. Balancing should be part of the fitting service. Has been everywhere I've had tyres fitted professionally anyway.

Although I did go to one place that said they had when they hadn't. What with that and putting the tyre on the wrong way round (twice) and trying to bullshit me that that was how the old one was, they lost a customer for ever that day. I don't take kindly to being treated like a f'kwit to cover other people's incompetence.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Today I had time to drop in to BikePlus (keilor rd) and order -1/+1 sprockets. While I was there I mentioned the issue I had with the tyres not being balanced. He was apologetic and insisted I should have came back straight after so that they could fix it. He asked if I had come in on a Tuesday (which I did, hehe), apparently the apprentice or work experience kid (?) works on that day, and he is use to fitting dirt bike tyres which they don't balance.

Anyway, thought I should mention that to be fair to the shop. All my other experiences with them have been great.