Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bah! Bike not starting after a 7 week holiday

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by blue_muppet, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Gyday fellow bike nuts,
    Its been a while since my last post and I put that down to being out bush picking bloody mangos so that I can fund my ever growing obsession with bikes :p

I arrive back in beautiful brissy today to find that my pride and joy is covered in dirt, dust and something that I assume is possum crap. Nothing that a good clean won't fix but I still expected it to fire up first go. Alas, it’s still not starting.

The bike is still kicking over, it just doesn't seem like there is any fuel getting to the engine. Lights and everything are working fine, I just don't want to push it too hard and flatten the battery.

Is there a chance that fuel as gone off or that some sludge as got stuck in the carbie’s? Tomorrow, after I check the plugs ect I think I might drain the tank and put some fresh fuel in. Thankfully there is only 5 or so litres left in the tank so its no great loss.

Any idea on what is going wrong with my bike?
  2. No ideas here, but did laugh at the possum poo.
  3. Pull a fuel line off a carbie and make sure the fuel is getting that far. Check the air cleaner for possum shit as well.
  4. It sound's like you've left the fuel tap on while you were away. Start procedure same as for flooding. Hold full trottle and hit the starter. OR it's possible there is no fuel in the carby so use prime to get it in there (if your tap has it) otherwise go back to plan A. My kwacka went first go when I got back from a 4 week break the other day :grin: but the CB used to do exactly as you described and could sometimes take 15 mins before it decided to fire up. It's not a huge issue. Just keep pluging away until it goes and be prepared for a long ride to charge the battery. :grin:
  5. Also, don't forget to check you haven't left the fuel tap on "offO and forgotten to switch to "on" before starting. :wink:
  6. AAhhhh, your correct when you mention that the fuel tap was left at the "on" position while I was away. Crap, I didn't think of the primer either. I guess I was just trying to keep my white shirt away from all the faeces :p

Something that I just thought off, if my bike is now pretty flooded, is there a chance that the fuel has run into the cylinders, past the rings (washing them clean of oil) and into the sump? I can imagine this would screw my engine very quickly. Is there anyway I can check to see if fuel has got into the sump?
  7. Nah, it'll be fine and don't worry you're not the first person to do do it. :wink:

Just hold it at full throttle 9to maximise the vacumme pulling fuel through the carby) and hit the starter. As it fires up it'll give a big rev then let go of the throttle and it should settle into a nice idle. I'd give it a quick twist after that to reassure myself that everything was ok. :grin:
  8. Check the oil
    Smell it. If theres fuel in there you'll smell it a mile away. I doubt it'd get there though unless your needle and seats are not sealing or float level is wrong.

Turn the fuel off and crank it full throttle for a bit

Then turn the fuel on and try again at whatever throttle it normally starts at.
  9. Chances are, his shed smells like petrol anyway. :?
  10. Does your bike have a vacuum fuel tap? If so the fuel shouldn't have flowed unless it was started. Maybe check the diaphragm to see if its letting fuel through.
  11. It's sulking because you didn't take it with you for all that time :grin:
  12. Just got back from a 10 minute battle trying to get the old girl started and unfortunatly no luck. I sat there with full throttle and continuted to hit the starter but it still refuses to start. I think i'm on a crash course to getting a very flat battery soon. Should I just keep at it and keep the jumper leads close by?
  13. Have you checked the plugs to make sure they're clean and you have spark?
  14. hey blue muppet

i was out of action for about 5 weeks due to a broken wrist and the same thing happened to me, i got a new battery it helped a bit but still difficult to start.

then took it to pete the pom to clean all the valves etc etc worked great after that. :D
  15. Well there is finally a happy ending to a very crappy day.

After flattening the battery I decided I might as well pull the bike apart and check the plugs. I tell you what; the japs have made the bandits pretty damn difficult to pull apart!

After putting it all back together, I fired her up and she started!! Hurra! It was pretty short lived because I noticed she was running pretty badly. Me being the idiot that I am decided to take it for a fang and hopefully blow out all the cobwebs that were clogging her up. Mistake number 1

I now know that the bike was totally flooded and the battery didn't have enough juice to kick it over properly. This resulted in me breaking down about 4km away from house. Battery totally flat and I’m standing around in the blazing sun wondering what the hell to do.

Thankyou to the couple on the yamaha that stopped and asked if I was ok. Much appreciated guys.

I ended up pushing the bike to the nearest service station and rang for help. Drained the carbies, jump started it ran like a dream.

One question though, I noticed that my sump was a bit full after the last time I topped it up. I loosened up the sump drain plug and started to drain it out slowly. My uncle decided to speed things up a bit and unfortunately I dropped the entire sump contents on his garage floor (his fault anyway!)

We didn't have any motorbike oil so we decided that the oil from his 100hp Yamaha boat engines would be sufficient enough. It is 10W-30 (my bike is rated for 10W-40) and is a semi synthetic. Pennzoil I think was the name. Should I be rushing out to the motorbike store and getting myself the real deal or am I ok with using this oil?
  16. sorry cant help with starting up the bike
    but the possum poo part gave me a big smile
    and i hope u all the best though
  17. The Yamahaha oil should be O.K short term, but I'd drain it after about 500 kms or so. Outboards run pretty cool, and bikes tend to run quite a bit hotter, so the slightly thicker oil would be a bonus. However, now I think about it, being semi synth, should be O.K. Synthetic oil tolerates extremes of heat better.
    Your carbs sound like they dried up. My Z does that after about a week, and I have to turn the tap to prime to get any sort of action at all.
    If a bike is flooded when you are cranking it, you'll surely smell it out of the exhaust, and you'll usually get the odd hit here and there on a spark plug. No fuel sounds like no spark, nothing at all.

Regards, Andrew.
  18. Thanks for the replys guys.

As I said in my previous post, the bike is now running really well after draining the carbs and putting some fresh fuel in her.

So you think that after 500km I should drain the sump and start with fresh motorbike oil? Could someone please explain the difference between 10-30W (what is in the bike now) and 10-40W (what is the bike is rated for)

19. The first set of numbers indicates the oil's cold viscosity, and the second set indicates the oil's hot viscosity. So, a higher number when hot indicates a slightly thicker oil at temperature. Like I said, I wouldn't worry too much about it right sway.

regards, Andrew.
  20. Thanks mate, I think it should be right for a while. Its running like a dream now and I couldn't be more pleased!