Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Baffles removed by thieves...

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by thegutterpoet, Apr 21, 2015.

1. I recently had the copshop return to me my haggard 99' R6...it is running like shit. Sounding terrible. Always was going to see horrid after I made the move to an '07 r6 in perfect condition, then returned to the saddle of the old nag.
    Yet still, I was taken aback by its shocking sound and awful low down in the revs performance.
    I was broaching the matter with a friend and when I mentioned that the pigfcuking thieving scum ****s had removed the baffles from the exhaust he explained that could be why the bike sounds and runs bad now.
    The carbs were balanced late last year. He explained to me that the carbs would be unbalanced as soon as the baffles were removed as the back pressure will have changed completely.
    does this make sense??
    My pal is happy to take the thing apart and give the carbs a good clean, maybe help me fill the stock exhaust with iron wool as replacement baffles...just seems a tough job as there are rivets!

2. Glad you got your bike back...
    stole the friggin baffles? really?:mad:
    What on earth is the world coming to...:poop:
    Hope you get her running like a dream soon :cat:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. hohohoh!...they had removed the baffles after nicking the bike!
  4. I was actually being serious...not having a lend of you thegutterpoetthegutterpoet
    unbelievable to nick the baffles!!! Why...FFS I don't get it...shaking my head in disbelief at the missing links roaming the earth...
  5. Yes, it makes sense. Carburettor (and EFI) tuning is a balance of airflow in, fuel-flow in, and gas flow out. Too little or too much of any of those will negatively affect performance or/and reliability, which is why one should check the tuning after messing with one's exhaust system.

You may find your fuel consumption is higher after you get it running properly, but you may also get performance gains (compared to the bike pre-theft). But tuning is an art beyond my ken, and there are a few variables involved.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. As far as fuelling, anything that changes the flow characteristics of the exhaust can throw it out. Some rejetting may be in order.

As for the sound, gutted OEM exhausts can be hit or miss, and it's sort of hard to undo. Packing it with steel wool might be a bit unpredictable too. You might be better off shelling out for an aftermarket pipe with a baffle. Whatever you do, do it before you sort out the fuelling.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. I suspect more likely they stole the bike, removed the baffles to make it sound "better" and the bike was recovered with baffles out.

Removing baffles can affect tune.

Is the bike insured? If so may be worth considering a claim to put good everything which the thieves changed.