Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Baffled by Baffles

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by sLowBrian, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Hi guys... I had posted this at the end of the "Loud Pipes Save Lives" thread, but decided to copy it to here as well....... Hope that's ok with everyone......
    I have heard of people removing some of the baffles from the exhaust to make it a little louder. I am thinking of having this done to my VT750C, I know I can put pipes on it, (and to be honest I know exactly which pipes I would put on it if I was going to do that.) but the thing is .... I don't really want it much louder than it already is! Say halfway louder between stock and loud would be nice. And I kinda like the look of the stock pipes anyway!

So, my question is..... has anyone removed some of the baffles on a VT750C?? What would the procedure be? Is there any downside to doing this?

Cheers

sLowBrian

2. I remember seeing a youtube video of someone doing a Kawa Vulcan (I think) using a drill and hole saw. It sounded ok in the end. Have a look around and see if you can find it.

3. In my day, the tools of choice were a big hammer and Granny's poker :grin: .

4. Or broom handle.

5. ok im a bit of a newbie myself, but here goes.

if you dont want it much louder then dont touch anything. the baffles from what i hear are the only thing that makes your bike quiet.

having no baffle is like having a straight through pipe, being incredibly louder (illegally loud) and also a slight performance increase.

up to you buddy. even thuogh i dont know too much, id rather buy a performance muffler for my bike with some sort of a baffle in it, which will create enough back pressure to stop you needing to rejet your carby or injection system, rather than buggering around with a stock pipe and rooting it.

good luck

6. Heres a link for a Boulevard.. Maybe it works on the same principle..

Debaffled my Boulevard when i had it.. It DOES not make it too loud..
    Gives off a nice deep note, unlike the aftermarket pipes around which are obscenely loud..

Sure i had the ecu remapped, and also added a K&N Filter as well..

If you arent sure about debaffling you can always drill 1/2 holes in the baffle plate which gives a bit more of a note.