Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Bad Hoon, Bad Hoon

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Ljiljan, Jan 10, 2011.

1. http://www.bordermail.com.au/news/l...ga-police-hunting-burnout-driver/2042183.aspx

Terribly dangerous, naught boy

Ha. What rubbish.

2. what a fvckwit.
    if it was in my street i would have thrown a brick through his windscreen

3. They will prob just take away his car (POS anyway) and license (if he had one). 20 years jail my ass. Has this ever happened...

4. At least that is an actual case of hooning, and not just popping a wheel up, chirping a tyre, or riding a little fast, all of which could attract the same hooning charges.

5. “The fact that somebody might do a burnout is unacceptable..."

How beige is this country becoming :roll:

6. Beaurocrats with the IQ of roadkill..
    20 years gaol for (yes I know).. For doing a burnout cos its "conduct endangering life'.
    txt on your phone while driving and Kill someone and its a $500 fine.
    Do a right hand turn across the path of a motorcycle because you werent wearing the required glasses and Kill him, its a $500 fine, because "the motorcycle rider was always speeding up and down there".

what a ****ing joke.

7. Talk about hysteria and sensationalism. Give them a charge for making a public racket at 6:30am, an environment fine for leaving the busted tyres around, but the rest of the hype is rubbish.

8. how is it different?

9. Lilley, one is extended antisocial behaviour, the other is a small chirp or wheelie impacting no one.

10. There's a big difference between a small loss of traction and doing burnouts to the point you burst a tyre in front on an audience.

It's the latter that has the very real potential to get someone killed, regardless of how good the driver is, or thinks they are (just google Troy Critchley).

11. So you can get 20 years for "conduct endangering life" when there's no one there to endanger??

12. Have another look at the article:
    Whether they were close enough to the car to be at risk or not would be for the courts to decide.

Edit: The moral of the story is that if you want to do stupid stuff with a car/bike, do it somewhere no-one can see you. If you're the sort of person that needs an audience then you're exactly the sort of person the cops should be taking off the road.

13. Are you saying the exploding shredding tyre can kill, or the out of control car?

In Troy's case he had a seriously overpowered drag car and did a burnout at an event in close proximity with hundreds of onlookers. It appears he lost control and slewed into the crowd. Maybe not a long bow to draw, but definitely an above average sized bow to suggest the hoon mentioned in the OP was on a hiding to the same outcome with his street production car.

14. Well I certainly wouldn't want to be standing next to a tyre when it blows but I see the out of control car as the bigger threat. Without having seen the incident, or knowing how close he was to the spectators when he jumped the curb, it's hard to say how great the risk was. This is why we have courts to make such decisions, not internet forums ;).

15. well that's the thing, it's not really affecting anyone. Sure there might be a bit of smoke and the street might smell like rubber for a few minutes, but it was 6:30, everyone is already up and getting ready to go - it's not like it was 2 am.

It's also only antisocial behaviour because people think it's antisocial. I love a good burnout, not at all antisocial to me. The vast majority of people who think burnouts are antisocial will also think wheelies and speeding are antisocial.

jd, I'll partially acknowledge your safety point, but horse riding and cheer leading have a very real risk of getting someone injured and killed (seriously), not to mention actual dangerous activities such as motorcycling and skydiving etc. The point is, the almost all of people who engage in the activity can do it without injuring themselves or others, the rare few that go wrong for some reason carry much more weight than unrare most that don't, as is the standard beige mentality.

16. The 2 other taking photographs were obviously there with the moron doing the burnout, so in light of that any danger to them should be their own responsibility.

I dont want people like this doing burnouts in the street, but deal with them in a way that doesnt affect the rest of us.

17. Agree 100% - brick through windscreen would be nice.

There's a time and a place. Suburban streets outside peoples houses is not the place. Ever.

Some fvckwits near me do it quite regularly - gives me the shits big time, especially when my house reeks of burnt rubber for hours afterwards - just shows complete lack of respect to everyone who lives near IMO.

Also;

](*,)

18. Lilley, I don't consider speeding or wheelies to be anti-social, depending on how/where they're done. But I do consider deliberately losing control of a couple of tonnes of steel in an uncontrolled environment for the purpose of a few laughs no different than standing in the middle of the street and firing a gun in random directions. The chances of killing/injuring someone would probably be about the same, the chances of being killed by a falling skydiver/cheerleader would be considerably less.

19. I've no problem with burnouts, even if I can think of more entertaining ways of vapourising a hundred bucks in a few seconds. I get pretty hacked off when they're taking place immediately outside my house five times a night, however.

Ditto speeding and wheelies. Time and place, people.

20. You are just trolling, aren't you?

Have you ever heard of shift workers, or people with young children at home? Would you mind if I came around to your place two hours after you went to bed, and did burnouts in front of your house?

The noise of a burnout on a suburban street is always antisocial. If the offender also leaves bits of tyre and vehicle scattered around the scene, particularly on the road, it is even more antisocial. At least clean up after your fun, even if it is on private property for goodness sake.

How would you like it if some young folk went down to your favourite local beach, drank a bunch of alcohol from bottles, and then left broken glass buried in the sand? Same thing as hoons leaving bits of tyre all over the road; it is a hazard that they should have cleaned up. People don't mind when you have some fun in the appropriate place, at the appropriate time, and clean up after yourself.

303 through the engine block would be more satisfying, but just as bad as the hooning. ;)

I was thinking something like never between 9pm and 8am, but on reconsidering, I don't like burnouts at any time on any street in the valley I live in. Aside from the noise and the stink, which hangs around for hours on still days, it makes a mess of the roads, and you never know when you will meet someone coming around a corner at you sideways. I have a couple of rice burner owners in my court, and a couple of muscle cars, but they know to keep the hooning away from home. It is some young blokes in clapped out cars that do burnouts in my area, so it isn't even impressive, just a wank.

Burnouts belong on drag strips, and maybe race tracks, if anywhere.