Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bad advice

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by toadcat, Sep 23, 2011.

1. I was just reading on VisorDown an article on braking and I came across this gem:

"As most rear brakes provide soft braking, when I need to scrub some speed off quickly I tend to mostly use the rear. If a car changes lane unexpectedly or pedestrian appears unexpectedly in town, it is always quicker to get to the rear brake pedal plus it’s normally the best option as a handful of front brake could easily see you going down."

From here: http://www.visordown.com/advanced-riding/advanced-riding-course-braking-techniques/11070-3.html

I can't believe that I'm reading this, especially from someone who rides on the track so much. :-s

The rest of the article is quite good though, just the street advice is horrible. I thought it was only Harley riders... :-O
  2. When i went to do my L's and P's course the instructor anyways picked on me as a dirt biker because i relied on my rear brake to much. Now i only use it for to stabilise myself at low speed and in combination with the front...

Its generally ok until you lock it up and fish tail out of control...
  3. Weird, I got told the same thing at my learners course
  4. Yet the front brake is much more powerful on sportsbikes and more likely to bring the motorcycle to a stop in time.

I think on the street, it's best to get into a practice of using both front and back, to minimise the chances of locking either during an emergency brake, and so if you do accidentally lock one, the other continues to provide braking force.

5. That's what I was thinking; great the front MAY lock up and send you down but that's better than colliding with the car who's pulled in front of you because you've not slowed down at all.

The rear is great for settling the bike down before braking too, but really once you're braking properly hard the rear will do next to nothing - hence slipper clutches to avoid the rear locking up from engine braking alone.
  6. Yeah, forgot to mention that one, it's pretty important, I learnt from experience. It's entirely possible to lock the front not by applying too much pressure to the lever, but applying it too quickly, before the weight transfer to the front wheel has occurred. Using the back brake in conjunction with the front will help facilitate this weight transfer.
  7. Are we talking about this again?

Yes, it's bad advice.

The good advice is that it depends on many things. Weight distribution, both static and under braking, the skill and ability of the rider, the amount of grip offered by the road surface ... bla bla bla...

On a sports, standard or naked bike, the front brake is your friend. On a scooter, or a custom or the sort of cruiser that's raked right back, you need a balanced approach. This is why we practice E-stops, so we know what our bike requires to stop effectively, and we are competent and proficient in doing it.
  8. It should have had a caveat there. In my limited 'cruiser' riding experience, this is true.

My experience consist of maybe 200klm on an 883 Sportster, but you kinda need to get the hang of the braking thing pretty quickly I've found. :)

I expect it's an American article, intended for a different audience than us.
  9. The first stop on a new bike will tell you if you use front or back brake and how much of each. A modern sports bike the front is much more powerfull, on a 30 year old harley the back will stop you before the front has realised its supposed to be stopping. Every bike has its own quirks and most are somewhere between the 2.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. UK article, and as the article was track-biased I was going :-s which then developed into a [-(

...Love emoticons
  11. I didn't read it before, but I did now, it actually seems pretty balanced, just with some not very well expressed ideas.

It's not saying always only use the rear brake, instead:

Makes sense.

This bit's a bit shit though. Over say 30km/h, I'd stay away from the rear. but that's just me & my bike.

Good advice.

It's also really handy for bringing the front wheel of your R1 back to ground, (or so I'm told ;) ) as you accelerate sedately from the lights.
  12. If this is a UK article, "in town" is highly likely to refer to sub 30 km/h speeds on shitty, oily, wet roads with dodgy surface repairs and shiny metal manholes every 5m or so. Under such circumstances, yes, the front brake requires some caution and the back will play a greater (though, IMHO, not exclusive) role.

I think it could be worded better though.
  13. Bloody hell! This is not quite correct.
    Firstly...if you accidentally lock the front you are going face plant at the speed of sound, and if you are at the point where the front is locking, then at that point, the rear brake is pretty much doing nothing as far as braking is concerned. In fact, it is probably Increasing the danger!
    Please get that right.

Bike type determines the best way to be braking, not whether you are on the track or the road. Big tourers, and especially cruiser style bikes which are more weight biased to the rear, generally have more effective rear brakes than most other regular bikes, where the front brake will definitely be the only one to use for big stopping performance. At easy pace the rears can be a little useful for general slowing down on any bike, but the harder you have be on the brakes the quicker the rears drop away to useless status. So learn to rely on your fronts as your primary brake.
    Full sports bikes can pretty much ignore the rears for any braking...but if you must, it can useful to assist "slowing down"...NOT stopping IMHO.
  14. Yep, very unqualified bad advice. I hope nobody is listening to the idiot.
  15. Before you go diving for the rear brake, I would learn how to correctly use the front brake, so that you don't have to use the rear!

You are walking a fine line, that disappears proportionately with the urgency of the braking required when riding a general or sports style bike.
    (different story for cruisers)

Some of you guys really need to look up the mass of threads on braking at NR, because you aren't 'getting it'.

Oh...and sports bikes only stop better because they have powerful brakes. But the same brakes are fitted to most of the high quality street bikes, and commuter bikes, as well as sports bikes. Even sports tourers.
  16. I tend to use my rear brake quite a bit. Admittedly I'm from a dirt bike background but I find that at speed running into a corner the front brake tends to bring you to an upright position; whereas trailing the rear brake lets you brake a little later, & into, the first part of the corner without running you off the preferred line( I do use the front brake for all the initial braking tho)
  17. meh - I just seem to fall over no matter what way I use the brakes :)