Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Backpacks and courier bags

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by zenali, Aug 18, 2008.

1. I've seen lots of commuters who ride with a backpack or courier bag on. When I start commuting I will need some way of carrying my usual assortment of stuff that I schlep back and forth to work, but I'm worried about slinging it all in my Crumpler bag because if I do come off chances are I'll land on it. I don't care about breaking my laptop, but I do care about my laptop breaking my back! (Even though I have a spine protector in my jacket...)

So what is the general opinion of backpacks while riding? Should I be worried about it? Or am I worrying about nothing?
  2. I would really like to hear ppls opinions on this too, as I am frustrated by not being able to cart things about easily, and am worried about what a backpack could do to not only my back, but to the rest of me by getting snared and causing me to tumble etc....

This coming from a guy who has already broken his back in an OFF despite having a back protector in!
  3. carrying a backpack, shudnt much affect your riding balance unless,
    your backpack contains really heavy stuff which keeps shifting weight everytime u turn.

too heavy backpacks will affect on increased pressure on you when you e.brake or take turns (u-turn spclly).

so if it is light stuffs u need to carry over short distances, u can go ahead nd get a double shoulder backpack for it.
    but for touring, instead of backpacks, i would prefer side bags, rear bag attached with a holder, and tank bags, if they can be attached to your bike.

If u do take a tumble nd slide, your backpack MIGHT get stuck on the road....same effect as having fins on your helmet.
    If its nothing much solid, but clothes, i dont think your tumble would affect your back much. *provided u r wearing your jacket with the back prot/padding*
    however heavy items on your backpack can weigh down on your back on a tumble, and can be highly injurious.

Hope that helps :)
  4. I might look into getting a little bag to put on the back of the bike. I have to carry a laptop some days, and I wouldn't want one smashing into my back if I do come off. (It would be bad enough when riding a bicycle... definitely not something I'd want to try on a motorbike.)

Samhain, what was the prognosis with your back? Presumably you're up and riding again now...?
  5. get a rack or a top box. a top box is probably more convenient as you can lock it but its ugly. my rack bag has shoulder straps so I can wear it like a pack to carry it around.
  6. Two fractured vertebrae though nothing as serious as it sounds.... was knocked well and truely unconscious and was in a fair bit of muscle related pain for a few weeks... but all healed now and on my replacement bike that I bought 3 days after getting out of hospital :)
  7. If you have a fair bit to carry around get a rack and bag or a top box. Backpacks are dangerous and uncomfortable.
  8. Admire your courage for getting straight back on after a serious off. Did you catch any flak from friends and loved ones?

I started with a back pack, but have moved onto a small tank bag and an expandable rack bag which does the trick. Besides the safety factor (ie worrying about the backpack snagging on something, like a moving car :shock: ) I found that having a back pack gave me the same sense as having a seat belt on while in a car. I now enjoying the feel of having nothing to strap me in/down. :LOL:
  9. Spinal injuries in motorcycle crashes are generally caused by lateral movement of the spine - not by impact. That's why (contrary to what a lot of riders believe) back protectors don't help much in a crash - except to prevent severe bruising.

When you come off with a normal backpack your chances of a twisting injury to the spine are greatly increased. Go for a gearsack, panniers, anything but a backpack.
  10. My apraisal of back protectors really was that they would just stop u grinding your spine down in a severe slide, but not really much else...

And yeah, that's what I thought regarding a back pack... I certainly do not want to increase risk of damaging my back and twisting and turning or getting caught up on something thanks to the pack does not tickle my fancy... hell we go to all the trouble of having smooth lines in our gear, without tabs and pockets etc to get caught... so why throw that away with shit hanging off your back!?
  11. I totally hear you on the backpack thing. I don't like riding a pushie with one on, and I can only imagine it gets worse with a motorcycle.

I actually picked up a bag that kinda straps to the rear seat today, but when I got it home and tried it on I found out that the rear seat of the CBR 125 is too small for the harness thing that the bag attaches to. And to make matters worse it was the smallest one they had. Bogus.

I'm not sure what to try next. I guess I'll take it back and see if they have anything that will fit.
  12. I carry a backpack to and from work every day with my laptop and assorted gear in it, probably 15kg all told.
    This particular backpack is a Targus made one and straps onto me very snuggly, if it wasn't for the additional weight of it, I probably wouldn't notice it was there.
    It's last years Voyager I believe: http://www.targus.com/au/product_details.asp?sku=TSB045CA
    Has a stomach belt and a chest belt and the draw straps on the arms have rings at the bottom so you stick your thumbs in them and then just push down to tighten it.
    Also has an integrated elastic bordered plastic rain cover that swings over the whole thing to keep the rain out.
    Cost me like $90, but it protected the laptop just fine and didn't do me any injury in my last (relatively low speed) off.