Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by tunelliner, Apr 7, 2008.

1. hey does anyone have any suggestions on choosing a good "riding" backpack... i'm currently lookin for one so when i commute to uni on a bike, i am able to fit my jacket, helmet and other assorted crap into it

i was searching around and the joe rocket blaster backpack looks really goood... but i can't seem to find any aussie online stockists or a general aussie dollar price for it.

what other backpacks would be suitable.. a normal one would do right?

hope to get some feedback pleaseeee :)
  2. I bought mine from Ray's Outdoors, done me a few mths before I upgraded to a tailbag. The ole backback just didn't seem to fit as much crap as I like to have handy. :)
  3. If you want it to fit your jacket, helmet and other stuff it would have to be pretty darn big.

What about the IXON X-CEED BAG?

Recommended Retail: $114.95

4. i had a bit of a geeze at the kriega backpacks but there damn expensive.
    made of the goods though and not in some sweatshop either

looks like they would be really comfortable.
    i gave up trying to find bag to carry all my stuff in it gets too heavy.

i just wear it and put up with it. carry the helmet round as my helmet lock would involve leaving my brain bucket on the exhaust :?
    great design from kwaka there
  5. I used a backpack for ages on my old bike before I got the GPX, and one of the first things I did (After tires, before wax) was to get a rack with a bag.
    While it may 'ruin the lines of the bike' (As told to me by someone on a ZX2R :LOL: ) I found the extra carrying capacity well worth it.
    What I do is carry an old Caribee backpack in the bottom of it, If I need to carry more small (Light) items I get it out. Larger ones I use home made tie down straps and secure it to the seat in front of rack.

While the bag was fantastic for small items, I found if I tried to carry 4 bricks of nailgun nails in it, it really *weighed* on me. I wouldn't want to ride a long distance with anything on my back which pushed me around. As of yet I haven't had any problems with things like a slab strapped down on the seat.
  6. oh thanks guys.... alternative i think i might just get a smaller bag so i can stuff my jacket in there... i dunno how small is small, but i certainly dont wanna have a backpack that'll make me look like im camping on campus for a week or two :LOL:

7. A tankbag with backpack straps built in????

I have an oxford one, magnetic to the tank, quick and easy.

I don't like the idea of an "off" with a backpack on. Landing on things like keys and lighters can hurt.
  8. I have a huge one. I can fill it with enough clothes to last 7 days at the island with toiletries as well.

Got it from Peter Stevens about ooohhhhhh ages ago.

Was about 50 bucks. Has a compartment at the bottom that you can separate with a zipper to store your helmet in.

I had it weighing about 20kg one year. Awesome backpack.

Now I just use the Panniers, tailbag and tankbag :)

Gotta love BMW lugguage
  9. I just bought a High Sierra laptop backpack after seeing one that a colleague has.

Got mine off ebay but Strand Bags also sell them for $80 ...

Plus points:
    - can hold up to a 17" laptop and is well padded to protect it
    - has a built-in rain cover
    - has lots of straps including one to link across your front, a full waist strap and others to take up the slack of empty space.
    - lightweight
  10. I've got the same backpack as Rybky and it is pretty good for alot of situations. Lots of pockets and extremely comfortable. I only use it for a run to the shops though. For most trips I prefer my tailbag as it offers more freedom of movement.