Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Backfiring exhaust questions

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by livingstonest, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Slipped on an arrow exhaust the other day on my z750. Midpipe and exhaust only.

Now when i roll off throttle it backfires quite consistently.

I've read that it may mean i have a lean mix or an air leak in the exhaust system. I remembered that when i slipped it on i didn't use the lube that it came with because it went on no probs.......just wondering aside from lubing is it also meant to seal it?

I just worry bout the backfiring doing damage in any way? Should i solve the problem with a power commander? or is there any other way?
  2. Dunno about a power commander, but a trip to the dyno to check where it's running lean (because that's what it's doing) will point you in the direction of a cure......
  3. Bang or crackles?
  4. Snap, crackle or pop??? :LOL: :LOL:.
  5. You idiot.. :p :LOL:
  6. Actually alittle of bang/crackle/pops :grin:

Not an almighty bang.......kinda bang/pops followed by few crackles
  7. alot of bikes will do this when you put a new can on, especially if theres no baffles in it, my gs sounded almost scarey under de-acceleration when it had the full system, mixtures and everything checked out fine, just the way it was
  8. It wouldn't hurt to get the mixtures checked, but i'd say its normal with the new cans, and just get used to it, personally I love the sound of a bike backfiring on declaration.
    It lets the cages know your coming :twisted:

The most common course of the 'backfire' when putting new cans on is the bike is now breathing better, and unburnt fuel is igniting on the way out. Where as before the extra baffles where slowing the exodus down and nulifying the 'backfire'.
  9. Thanks for all the replies.

Nice one vtr i think i get it now! :) Thats great, i don't mind the backfiring, something to get used to now that i know its not doing any damage :)
  10. other than lean mixture, exhausts pop due to air ingress. In really bad cases you can damage valves. I don't know the theory behind this.

So check your fittings have a good seal. Use a smear of exhaust putty if necessary

Otherwise, a bit of popping from a more open exhaust is normal.