Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Backfiring after chain clean

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by geeth, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Hey,
    The last two times that I have cleaned my chain and started the bike to go for a ride and warm it up the bike has done a backfire when turning over.

I raise the back wheel, clean the chain 1 rotation with toothbrush and 1 more with a rag, lower the bike start and KA-BOOM.
    I don't have the engine running and the bike is in nutrel.

Is this normal?

2. It isn't the engine back-firing. It's the sonic boom of the now clean chain.

Or maybe it's the chain catching alight from the solvent you've used.

Either way the clear message is; don't clean your chain.

3. Seems unusual. Perhaps raising the rear is causing some fuel to flow into the combustion chamber(s)?

4. Ibast: Lol, could be, I do make the chain really clean.

Titus, it could be since pushing around on the ground has never done this before, it still is a little strange though. I am thinking that I might just have the engine idle will cleaning the chain.

Does backfirering do any damage to the bike?

5. I can't guarantee it won't, but it seems unlikely. It sounds like unburnt fuel doing what it usually does and going BANG as it hits oxygen exiting from the pipe. If the pipe is in sound condition, it should be ok, just don't let anyone stand next to it (or DO, if you think the fun will be worth it :shock: )

Now, if the engine is somehow trying to run backwards, that's another story...
    (unlikely)

I wouldn't run the engine while cleaning. If knock it into gear your fingers are gone.