Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Backed into my bike

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by PeterZx9, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Parked at work today and a guy comes into the office asking who owns the bike parked outside, he'd backed into it and knocked it over. I go out and we pick it up and the left mirror is broken off and under the car parked in the next spot, the ducktail fairing and front fairing both have large scratches and the left and lower fairings both have scratches also.

The good side is he has owned up and contacted his insurer (AAMI) and I got the claim number and contacted them so I have to take it in to get it assessed when they call me on Monday or Tuesday.

Annoying thing is I had just gotten some electrical issues sorted out that had been going on for a few months and it was in good order and now I will have to take it somewhere to get it repaired and be without it again for however long it takes to repair.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bummer, but at least he owned up to it

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Fair play to the driver for putting his hand up. Seems to be a rare thing these days.

Insurance should pay to sort any recurrence of the electrical issues.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Do not let his insurer dictate where or how the bike is to be repaired. Demand brand new parts and at the workshop of your choice

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Eh, I wouldn't be too mad/bummed about it, these things happen, and you got lucky that the culprit was an honest guy for once.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Owning up is one of the hardest things to do.

Kudos to him for doing the right thing.

All the best with the repairs.

7. It'll be written off, buy it back for a grand and turn it into a track bike ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. What more could I add to this conversation that hasn't already been said... Consider yourself lucky that your bike was accidentally cleaned up by an honest bloke who took responsibity and who had insurance.. All the best with the repairs.. I'm sure it will all work out well.

9. I took the bike to sixty degrees for a quote on the 17th of september and they did the quote and sent it to AAMI and now I have to wait until the 7th of October for an assessor to visit sixty degrees to look at the bike. So it will end up being over a month off the bike before it is repaired.

10. That's ridiculous. Is it normal for insurance companies to make you wait that long?

11. Call them back and tell them to hurry up!

There may be a long wait for parts to be delivered as well....

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Why aren't you able to continue riding your scraped bike in the interim, and take it to the shop on the 7th when assessor is due to visit? Or is it deemed "unsafe" as soon as you put a claim in?

13. Can you hire a replacement and claim it off AAMI?

Absolute lottery ticket winner with the person owning up though. Over the years have had 3 cars damaged while parked - no one ever owned up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. The left mirror has snapped off so it is not roadworthy to ride and I am claiming through the insurance of the guy who backed into the bike (I don't have comprehensive insurance) so I don't think I can hire a replacement and claim it. Probably AAMI is so slow because I am a third party and not their customer and I have gone to my preferred repairer instead of theirs.

15. A spare mirror isn't a big expense, should be able to pick one up for under $50 and is always a handy thing to have spare.
    I was always under the impression you could hire a reasonable equivalent car/bike when your not at fault regardless of your policy and claim it back as a consequential loss...of-coarse the insurance companies don't like disclosing this.
    Acorn rentals do this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1