Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Back wheel sliding in the rain

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Azamakumar, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Rode home through heavy rain today, and had the back wheel slip out a couple of times. Once when turning left, once when going right, both at speeds ~20km/h moving off from stationary. I wasn't giving it the beans, feathering the clutch at maybe 3-4k revs (I've already figured I ran through some oil along the way as much as I was trying not to).

Besides the obvious take it easier when turning, how are you actually meant to react? I've read at least enough of posts to know not to grab the brakes. Both times I pulled the clutch in and rolled on my way, but the second time the bike didn't seem too happy with my decision and almost wanted to throw me off, which got me thinking.

Did I do the right thing by cutting the throttle or was I meant to keep it constant and hope for the best?
  2. YOu sell your bike - buy a motard and become a world champion motorcycle drifter

well thats what I would do
  3. You don't chop the throttle. Just ease off on it very gently, like maybe 1mm, but otherwise keep it cracked and the rear wheel driving. It'll come back into line gently. What you experienced was a near high-side, where if you shut the throttle and the rear wheel is out of line, it'll suddenly regrip and try to flip the rider off the bike. If it's only a short way out of line, it'll just jolt you a bit. If it's a long way out of line, it can catapult you 2 or 3 meters into the air (I'm not exaggerating).

In summary, ease off the throttle just a smidge, and ride it out. Put the inside foot down if necessary, but the worst thing you can do is to touch the brakes (either one), shut the throttle, or pull the clutch in (same effect as shutting the throttle).
  4. Thanks Flux very helpfull
  5. What flux said.
    After a while you get used to that feeling of the rear being skidish and it's just a normal reaction to handle it.
    There's a round-about on the way to work for me that once it gets wet it is very very slippery. The first few times through it were very choppy now it's it's much smoother.
    That's the key to wet riding being smooooth.
  6. Listen to barry white music while riding in the rain.
  7. thanks flux, exactly what I was looking for

EDIT: just for curiosity's sake - had I been trailing the rear brake into the turn would the advice have been any different? Remember I'm talking low speeds here, would I roll off the throttle a bit and keep pressure on the back brake the same, or get off the brakes altogether?
  8. If you know it's going to be raining, you can also drop your tyre pressure by a couple of psi, will give you more grip in the wet.
  9. I'm not sure if it was the wet weather riding tips from the article on this site, or another site, but I basically read that this is a myth. Sure you marginally increase your contact patch with the road, but it comes at the expense of tyre shape, and that prevents the tread from doing what it is designed to do and efficiently dispersing water.
  10. I never trail the rear brake. My objective is to get the right line and speed then tip in - wet or dry. If I'm too fast, tip in more. Any brakes here and I'm in trouble - esp in the wet where a slight lockup on a slippery surface will see me on my butt. Just my opinion.
  11. I'm convinced it works, a tyre with a lower psi will heat up & retain heat due to the carcass moving more, that's my understanding... More heat, more grip.

Only talking 2 psi...
  12. Juzzy is correct.
    you should over inflate slightly
  13. tyre pressure, smire smessure.

just go with the slides. i always back it in when it rains. powersliding is alot easier too.

if in doubt more throttle :D
  14. It seems it was this site.

Source: https://netrider.net.au/articles/?page=wetriding
  15. Also check the condition of your tyres. It is possible to have heaps of tread left but if the rubber is quite old it goes hard, loses grip and doesn't get up to temperature properly. This is quite common on bikes used a lot for small trips. Not enough K's to wear the tyres out but constant heating and cooling will kill the tyres over a few years.

If it's wet and near the start of your ride they will also be cold and not gripping well.
  16. Watch the painted white lines in the wet.
  17. The lower tyre pressure in the wet idea I have seen else where.
    The idea being more contact surface area withe the road (slightly) cars and bikes.
  18. well it's nonsense.
    try it and see.
    bike handles like shit and tips in very badly.

i always over inflate slightly winter commuting in Melbourne... believe me your tires really don't get much heat in this shit...but it's important they perform at their optimum.
    plus i live in the speed bump capital of the world... by the end of the week i loose a fair bit of air from those stupid things alone.
  19. Just playing devils advocate as I have never tried it myself.

This page says yes for ice n snow

This one explains for a car why correct pressure is best in wet. With pics!