Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Back Wheel Removal - XVS 650

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by smidsy, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Hei Guys,
    Gotta take the wheel off to get a puncture repaired.
    I have a bike jack, all the tools I'm likely to need and the factory workshop manual.

Is there anything I need to know or be wary of that the manual doesn't tell me about.

2. Yes. You need to grease the drive shaft splines, especially those where the shaft attaches to the diff via a splined coupling. There have been a few drive spline failures due to a lack of grease, requiring diff, coupling & shaft replacement at approx $1700. It's not mentioned in the workshop manual as part of the periodic servicing. This should be done whenever the rear wheel/diif assembly is removed for a new tyre or every 10k service.
  3. moly grease
  4. Keep drive shaft horizontal or you will lose oil out of diff,
  5. Thanks - I wasn't sure whether I'd lose the diff oil or not so I was going to drain it first and put fresh in afterward.
  6. good plan
    new oil is the go they dont
    take much
  7. Hei Tinkerer,
    Good point on the grease - the drive shaft was bone dry when I got the wheel off.
  8. Yes some can be dry & yet others are ok. Always best to check just in case.

Though I hope we are talking about the same splines. There are splines where the wheel plugs into the diff, which are usually ok, but you still should add a little more grease just to freshen it up. There are also the splines on the drive shaft that plug into the universal joint at the back of the motor (inside a rubber boot), always good to grease this as well. But the main one I mentioned is inside the front cover of the diff that the shaft goes into. You need to remove four dome nuts (14mm spanner) & slide the cover down the shaft to reveal the coupling. It is covered with two rubber boots. It should just pull apart & there should also be a spring inside.

After you have greased the splines on the drive shaft & the splines on the diff & the splines inside the coupling, when you go to slide it all together again the grease usually causes the rubber boots to pop off. Make sure you push the shaft firmly into the coupling to expell any excess grease & air before pushing both the boots back into position, otherwise when the diff is put back in the bike the boots might pop off again & all the grease might leak out.