Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Back protectors and backpacks

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Bravus, Nov 6, 2006.

1. I have to carry my backpack with my laptop in it almost everywhere I go. I know back protectors are an important part of protection, but the 'humped' ones I've seen look as though they'd be very uncomfortable with a backpack.

I know very little about back protectors, having been using just a cordura winter DriRider jacket without one, but am about to go looking for a summer jacket. Are there flatter profile ones that still work, or have people found them fine with backpacks, or...?
  2. Hey Bravus.

I have a Dainese back protector that I always wear racing and sometimes wear on the road. I probably should always wear it on the road - like having full leathers on, I just get on with riding better/faster when I have it, it seems.

Anyway, enough rambling.

I also have a High Sierra backpack that has a padded pouch inside that fits my Apple iBook G4. It's not uncomfortable to use with the back protector. The Dainese I have is articulated laterally/dorsally and is quite comfortable.

So the two work together quite well. Maybe the Mac combines with the Dainese means I have double back protection!

The combination can get a bit warm on sunny days, but there you go...

3. Look up something called a speed pack or some such. It's a hard case back pack... I think Minna has one... ideal for carrying laptops and other valuables.

I have no direct experience with your particular issue though, so I hope I helped.

4. I have a Forcefield back protector and it is fine with a back pack. Once I get on the bike I don't even notice I have the back protector on. http://www.tprobodyarmour.co.uk

Had to special order it from the UK though. Don't forget; we don't have to pay VAT.
  5. I use a Dianese back protector and kidney belt, ok, ok, it's only there to hold my guts in :p

I wear a backpack with it on, no issues for me
  6. Thanks all, that's very reassuring.