Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Back protector

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Riderman, May 11, 2010.

1. Hi guys,

I commute daily in traffic and was wondering if investing in a back protector was worthy? Are they more designed for people on the track?

Furthermore, any recommendations for protectors? A quick google and I can see some are "CE" standardised. Is there an aussie standard?

Which one do you have, and has it ever saved you from being a vegetable?

Also I want one for snowboarding, so any recommendations would be great.

2. I've got a Dainese one that's pretty comfy. I tended not to wear it when I was doing my daily commute, but only out of laze. Never had to 'use' it yet.

No one with any sense is going to tell you not to wear one though - the more gear you have the better, no matter how long or short your ride is!

I've got a mate who has been hit and down a few times, never gets on his bike without full leathers or his back protector.
  3. My synthetic jacket came with a foam board thing in the back, I asked in the store and they came up with a nice rigid plastic & padded replacement from the manufacturer that was dirt cheap and I felt more comfortable with for normal riding. I tend to put the leather jacket on these days but for commute it might be an applicable concept for you or others with the same thoughts..
  4. ive got a dainese one too. I wear it all the time regardless of how short the trip is. I havent put it to the test yet (and hopefully never do) but I feel a lot better knowing its there if i need it.
  5. omg it's RIDERMAN!! *dunt dunt daah*:dance:

i've got about 4 i think... i don't not ever get on a bike without wearing one ever.

i'd think you'd have to be nuckin futs not to

CE approved is good, level 2 CE is even gooder.

i won't reccommend a brand though, because they vary a lot in design and type... and i have no idea what's best.

look for one that's comfortable and fits well under your jacket and dose'nt interfere with shoulder armour...i have a preference for ones that extend past your tail bone and give you some shoulder blade coverage, but that might be uncomfortable for some...oh yeah, i like a bit of padding around the kidneys too.. my kidneys have enough to deal with allready.

also look for one that's easy and convenient to wear.
    because if it's a pain in the butt putting the thing on everytime you want to go out, you won't bother with it.

some of the latest models/designs come in easy to wear vests that may or may not also have chest plates... so that's just an extra zip to do up.

another easy option is just to buy an aftermarket replacement for that thin pice of foam that's allready in the jacket...they come in different sizes to suit, but they don't tend to give you as much coverage.

some of the easiest ones to put on an take of quickly would be the latest a* sp2 bionic with the chest plate or the spidi defender...ok, so i'm throwing out big brand names now dammit...i believe dainese have impregnated aluminium.
    but don't be sold by the brand... it might even be fair to say that some of the bigger names have some catching up to do, given the latest stuff available from companies such as forcefield/t-pro and knox.

lastly, as for me becomming a vegetable, well yeaaah, i'd say the gates open and the horse has long since bolted ....
  6. I witnessed an accident last week where a kid on an Aprilia rs250 was trying to undertake a ute and slammed in to the rear left tail end doing about 80-90 km/h. He was pretty much geared up however his chest was hurting him so bad and I think that spidi back/chest armour would have protected him more. If your riding a hunched over sports bike I reckon definitely worth it.
  7. I just can't help but notice Riderman is being reccommended spidi (spidey?!) gear!!

8. A proper fitting and good helmet, watch this, will hopefully keep you from "being a vegetable". A back protector will hopefully prevent/minimise any back injury, but "being a vegetable" is caused by swelling to the brain from a head injury
  9. Nowt wrong with wearing a back protector. Anything comfy with a CE mark will help.

However, two points:-

1) No piece of gear is a shield of invulnerability
    2) People were riding motorcycles for 100 years before back protectors became the ATGATT brigade's latest must-have. Most of those who did, did not become paraplegics.
  10. Back Protector… Don’t leave home without it.
    They are a pretty simple idea, but the implications of hitting something and crushing a vertebra, or hyper extending your back and snapping the cord, are paraplegia. Personally I find I feel more comfortable on the bike with my back protector on and well done up. It actually supports your back and helps take load off the wrists (Not necessary for those with ABS OF STEEL)
    When it comes to back protectors in jackets Vs a proper one, the implications are quite simple. One in the jacket can protect you from impact, but the only way for it to protect you from hyper extension is if it is a proper back protector with the kidney belt done up nice and tight.
  11. I have Forcefield Pro L2. Never ride bike without it as well as the rest of the riding gear. It takes 30 seconds at most to put it on and it is very comfortable. See no reason for taking chances...
  12. I recommend the alpinestar full body armor. only around $400 includes back protector kidney and elbows!! - Saved me a lot of times once i went to hot on a round about and front washed out. slid a bit , got up and rode away. did not feel a thing....

Dont leave home with out it!
  13. I never ride without my +1 vs undead breastplate:

14. Ooh, that'll get a bit warm in a slide :grin:.
  15. That think would put titanium studs in knee sliders to shame.