Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Back on topic . . . Help needed

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by farawayman, Sep 1, 2005.

1. I am trying to clean up my old faithful DryRider. I have given it a scrub with some wooly wash and a rinse off with the hose but it is still looking grubby.

The instructions say not to use a strong detergent. So what do you guys use, to keep your gear clean?

Going away with a very special young lady next week for 10 days of touring so I would like to make a good impression, or should I give up now and say it is a lost cause?

2. I use our regular washing powder (Omommatic) in the bath with my DriRider gear. It took me about 5 or 6 washes, rinses, changes of water to get it looking good again. Allow plenty of time for it to dry as well...some of the pockets, etc can take a while to be completely dry.

:D :D :D

3. Clean??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

4. For my Tiger Angel Cordura/Gore Tex pants.

Remove armour.
    Machine wash separately - warm
    Tumble dry warm

The best way is to use a front loading machine and Omomatic
    (as lil says).

Use a laundromat if necessary.

Front loaders are a lot more gentle on the wash.
    Top loading machines are far more rough on clothing.

TonyE
    Anyway BMW riders don't wash their gear - they just ride in the rain... :p :p

5. Borrow a dirty jacket for the lady and save yourself the effort!!!

6. Anyway, why wash your jacket...

Think about all the accumulated male pheromones in there and their possible effect on your pillion. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Geez - a K rider washing his jacket... drum him out of the Dark Side please Darth!!!!

TonyE

7. Er, I tried that once but found it awkward bathing with the jacket still on. :LOL: :cry: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

8. Been doing that for years, hasnt helped.

You cant do over 70K in the last two years and not ride in the rain, well, in Victoria anyway. :LOL: :LOL:

One other question, does DryRider have its own watertight membrane like gore Tex? Or does it use water proofing on its fabric? And if so will I wash the waterproofing off?

9. Hmm

That does explain a lot...

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

10. It depends on the model of jacket. I have Tiger Angel pants with both...It's probably worth respraying it with Scotchgard or similar anyway if you're going to wash it...

11. Using your basic leather/shoe waterproofer on the wet weather gear can have some great efects.

I used it on my dri-rider nordic (already top notch in the rain) and after spraying it the water beads off the jacket. Same with my waterproof over pants. They already were great for stopping rain even in some of the thunderstorms we've had over here recently, but after using the water proofer, its like super wet weather gear... The water can't get off the stuff quick enough now. I can't wait to try wearing it during our next stormy fishing trip.

12. After I washed my gear, I didn't waterproof it....BIG mistake. Met up with netriders for a parma and pot night in the pouring rain and was SATURATED after trying to find the pub for 30 mins or so....

I bought a couple of cans from an outdoor store that did the job nicely

:D :D :D

13. After I have washed my Tiger Angel gear according to the instructions, which includes putting it into the dryer on a warm setting. I usea Gortex specific water beading product. I get it from Anaconda outdoor (only because it is around the corner from my place.) :):):)

14. Now here is the question!!! How do I iron out my leather pants????? :D

15. When did you last see a creased cow?

16. You don't. have you ever seen a cow at the laundromat?

17. I can only see that as being really useful if your pillion is a butterfly!

18. I can only see that as being really useful if your pillion is a butterfly!

OH, you mean male pherenomes from INSIDE the coat???

I was thinking of all the squashed male bugs on the OUTSIDE of the coat, sorry.

19. I really shouldn't touch that one - but I did work in Moe for 10 years...

:D

TonyE

20. I have never attempted to wash my gear other than wiping it down with a damp cloth. Those waterproof membranes can be delicate. Besides I am a bloke and have no idea how to use a washing machine anyway. that's woman's work isn't it!