Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Back on the horse

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Ferombah Hynde, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Hi all.

Just now joined up as I'm keen to get back in the saddle after a few years away and I would appreciate some input/ideas.

A ride on the back of a mate's GPZ1000RX got me hooked about 20 years ago. I started out on a GSX250, then bought a 1991 FJ1200, later a 1995 ZZR1100 and later still a 2000 Hayabusa.

I sold the bus about four years ago.

I must be getting old because I no longer need the fastest thing I can get my hands on. I have been considering bikes such as a KLR650, a CBR1100XX, a K100, a CB1300, and a TDM850.

I am 195cm and about 110kg. I will be carrying a 50kg pillion fairly regularly. The bike will be used almost entirely on bitumen. It will be a commuter and an occasional Sunday bike.

I like the idea of the KLR and the TDM for the running costs, but will these bikes be a disappointment performance-wise? Like I said, it doesn't have to be a rocket, but I do like a bit of poke.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Cheers. :grin:
  2. The new bussa is out but i hear it is wasy too small for a lot of people which is a shame..... the bird is definatly a top bike fast and stable and good for the long distance ride and pillion accomodation is good and rider comfort is fantastic a littel bent over but no pressure on the wrists it is a fairly nuteral riding position and can be toured on all day every day without discomfort. it would be the pick out of the bikes you mentioned....also it is honda so you can be sure it will last the distance

if going the speed light isent you intentions anymore i would definatly be adding the new 1250 bandit onto that list a fantastic value bike and a great touer at around 12k or so on road it is hard to beat. it has oodles of tourqe which makes for relaxed riding and plenty of power. im sure twowheels will tell you all about his new baby.... \:D/

if you stuill want some poke i would stear clear of the tdm. had a ride and it was not as powerful as i hoped just seemed to lack the oomf and compared to a bird or the other bikes you have ridden in the past i think you would be a little dissapointed in the power.....
  3. It took me a while to work out your user name!

I agree, the bandit sounds like a good choice for you, another bike to consider would be a Hornet 900,

there are a couple of threads on both of these bikes on this site and the owners sound very happy
  4. I don't know whether the price and maintenance costs will suit, but test ride a Ducati Multistrada 1100. This has a wet clutch, and would be more suitable as a commuter than my 1000 with the dry clutch.

Commutes, tours, and handles dirt roads as well. :grin:
  5. Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird - your pillion will love you for actually having a decent seat and foot pegs that let your legs sit more naturally. My husband has been commuting on his 'Bird for the last 3 years, and the only time it has overheated was on a Christmas Toy Run - 10 minute break and she was ready to go again. Servicing isn't much more expensive than my 250, insurance should be cheap for your age, and if you are so inclined you can 'Bling' to your hearts content and then some!!

Good Luck in your search
  6. If its inner city commuting I (read, myself - phizog) would stay away from the bird. BUT if it was just normal commuting, the bird would seem appropriate. I don't know where you're getting the idea that its slow though?? At least the ones passing me at $2.50+ didn't seem slow :wink:
  7. Oh, I can account for the Bird not being slow!!! She's the complete opposite!!! And not too heavy on fuel either!! One beautiful shining example check out Kroeb's garage!!
  8. Kawasaki Zx9Rr They do it all :grin: Oh i am a bit biased :p
  9. If you want something that is up to date go the ZX14. Yes it has heaps of power, but also handles and brakes better than any of the other bikes in its class, and pillion wise my wife loves it. Other option will be a ZX12R, and if you arent to fussed about the latest features, the Busa or the Bird are mighty fine machines as well..
    Good luck with your decision..
  10. Thanks for the ideas, guys.

I've narrowed it down to two models: the KLR and the Bird.

I guess that might seem like an odd couple. My head says the KLR because they are only $7990 brand new, cheap to run, I get a warranty and they look kinda funky.

But my heart says the Bird. Even after ten years, they are still a beautiful looking machine, it's a Honda, I prefer the sport-touring riding position and it has the beloved poke. Then again, it will cost a bit more to run.

I'm off to look at a 2003 Bird today. Gonna test ride the KLR tomorrow.

Head or heart?
  11. you should still have a ride of the bandit it really is a good sound package.....but if not mate stick to the bird you just cant go wrong :cool:
  12. Just had a look at the Bird. Very nice condition, however the battery was flat. The owner said that he had not ridden it for two or three months. He hooked it up to his car battery and it turned over but would not start. While turning it over, the bike backfired. Is that normal for a bike which has not been started for a while or is it something I should be concerned about?

He's charging the battery and I'm going back tomorrow night to (hopefully) see how it runs.
  13. Was probably pumping in fuel and not enough spark to fire it up i reckon.

See how it is when it fires up tomorrow..
  14. Ok, thanks Blue14.

Tell me what you think of your ZX14. If I had the funds, I prolly would have got me one too.
  15. Here you go have a read of this. Posted it almost 6 months ago, only thing that has changed is i love it more than i did then, just ask my wife.. :LOL:

ZX14 Review
  16. Had the same thing happen with a VFR brother was looking at in Canberra a month or so ago. I reckon the bike battery was completely dead and the ignition would not fire on the power passing through from the car battery...
  17. You'd think if someone was selling a bike, and had advertised it, that they would have checked it was running, realised the battery was dead, and fixed the problem before potential customers arrived.

Maybe it's a tactic to stop people asking for a test ride? Or maybe they really don't care about the sale or the money, and therefore will be open to price negotiation. :grin:
  18. The deal is done. I am now a Birdman.
  19. Looks the goods, congrats on your purchase..

Enjoy and ride safe.. :grin: