Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Back on bike after 20 years

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by potatomasher, Aug 12, 2009.

1. :grin: Just bought myself a 1250 Bandit a couple of weeks ago after not owning a bike for nearly 20 years [last one was a GSX1100]

I'm surprised about a few things:

- how much bikes have improved
    - how much more everything costs
    - how sore my left wrist is from the clutch

only put 400 km on it so far, but the bandit seems like a top machine
  2. Oh, bikes are SO much better than they were 20 years ago! In every way. Welcome back.
  3. golden oldies are taking over this site, welcome bud :)
  4. Welcome back to riding and Netrider, potatomasher. Enjoy the Bandit 1250 !
  5. welcome back to riding :grin:

i wasnt around 20 years ago, so i dont think i can comment on riding back then :)
  6. I was

he's right

Welcome (back) :)
  7. Welcome back aboard. :) Can't comment on road bikes from 20 years ago but my first (family) kwaka Ag bike (from early-mid 70's) on the farm's got nothing on nowadays fang dangled fancy kids machines!.

Stay upright dude, don't want you looking like a mashed potato!! :grin:
  8. Welcome and congrats on your choice of bike.
    Have you adjusted the clutch span?

Its a light clutch compared to some I have used.
  9. yes - i have moved both the brake and the clutch inwards - i found them both a bit of a reach - although my hands arent very big anyway. its quite a natty adjuster
  10. good choice
  11. thanks - i am really pleased with it
  12. Welcome from tassy potatomasher :) Have got 900 hornet bought Dec 08 have done 7000 Km's. Like the bikes we also get better with age :cool: Enjoy your new bike and ride safe :)
  13. Hi Potatomasher. After a similar break I'm also back on two wheels and know the absolute highs you're going thru on your return. Keep safe, and keep enjoying. cheers.
  14. I am having such a blast!! it's now got 1500 km on it so i can take it to 7000 rpm according to the manual.....although that is proving to be a bit hard as 7000 rpm in 2nd or 3rd is at least three or four kilometres per hour over the 60 speed limit.

I must admit i had forgotten how much fun zipping around on a bike is [and i also cant believe the amount of whack the bike has that's for sure].

i am doing one of those stay upright advanced courses on friday and am really interested to see how it goes - it's on out at oran park
  15. Straight to an advanced?
  16. did the stay upright course.......WHAT A BLAST!!

had a great time and I cant believe how good going around track was - could have done it all day

might do the advanced 2 one in a couple of months - i had a really good day and i am so surprised i was as good as i was [pardon my self-congratulation but i havent ridden in 20 years] The bandit was absolutely great - so much power out of the corners and i wasnt even trying - i had a great time.......if i didnt live in an apartment i would put in my own race track
  17. Welcome back to the motorcycle community.
  18. Potatomasher :?:
    Welcome back to the fun and games :roll:

But dont forget mate this is good for the soul :grin:

Cheers Bruce