Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

back into the swing

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by gti130, Apr 12, 2009.

1. hey people,

about 12 months ago the following took place...

I was riding to mums house for dinner, it was the worst conditions for riding. It was raining and dark.
    Anyway i'm approching a T-intersection where my lane had right of way and entering traffic came from the left.
    I was behind a van and there were quite a few cars waiting at the T-intersection to turn onto the main road.
    So i move to the left side of the lane, put space between myself and the van and set-up on the controls.
    I then watched as this red P-plater pulls out across my lane. All i could do was squeeze on the brakes and wait.
    The next thing i know i'm flying over the boot of the car, performed an army roll on the road and landed on my feet.
    I quickly removed myself from the road and once off the road checked myself over. Not a mark, except for a 5 cent sized dint in my helmet.
    The bike however was a different story. the front end was all bent up. the front fairing completely destroyed, mirrors gone, dent in tank, radiator holed, bars bent.
    I decent sized dent in the chicks rear quarter too.

Anyway, her insurance paided out the market value of my bike which was about $4,700 (i paid 2,700 for it to start with) and left the bike with me.
    Yesterday i bought another GPX ($600) which i intend to salvage parts off to fix my bike. I also get the added bonus of twin discs at the front now.

By the way my bike is a 2006 GPX250 and i was on my L's at the time. My license has since expired so i'll have to repeat the process, hopefully this time without getting up close and personal with red p-platers.

Cheers guys.
  2. should have claimed a new helmet as well. I wouldnt want mine to have to do its job more than once.
  3. true with the helmet. you're very lucky