Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Back into riding, new to Sydney, new bike (Ducati 1299S)

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by DanielW, May 16, 2016.

1. A relationship breakdown and 40 fast approaching, it was time to get back onto a bike. I've always wanted a Ducati since the 916 was released so it seemed fitting to get a 1299S.

I've been out of riding for around 13 years, last bikes were a CBR900, CBR600 and a XR250

I'm looking forward to getting on a few rides, I've only done the Roual National Park and went down to Sea Cliff bridge on Sunday
    • Like Like x 2
  2. welcome aboard :)
  3. Welcome :)
  4. Welcome :cool:
  5. Welcome and nice classy bike you have there!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Nothing like jumping in the deep end...

Welcome to Netrider...
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Welcome to NR
  8. Welcome to the forum mate. Nice bike you have there. I note a lack of pictures in your post to show off her beauty.........
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Welcome back, when the itch hits you need to scratch it.. congrats on the Ducati
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I have no idea why I am about to say this, that's a lot of bike if your a bit rusty. Probably me just being jealous. Enjoy it
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Aloha DanielWDanielW , welcome to the madhouse.

Awesome new bike there :) treat it like a new relationship and go slower at first and once you've ridden it a few times, go play full throttle . Lol

Some nice roads up your way. Stay upright!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. #13 DanielW, May 17, 2016
    Last edited: May 17, 2016
    Yeah you are probably both right however if you can tame your right wrist then I think it's ok. As my post said, I'm almost 40 so not young and crazy. In my line of work I've seen first hand some nasty accidents so I'm in no rush for that. At least I can control the bike, unfortunately I can't control other road users. It doesn't matter what bike you are on if a car wants to take you out.

I remember my CBR 900 having plenty of power yet no modern aids. The Ducati has ABS, traction control and wheelie control. Also has wet riding mode where it is derated with a slow throttle response. Plus it's only limited to 6000rpm until 1000km.

To be honest, the biggest learning curve has been the difference an inline 4 and the big L twin. It doesn't like slow!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. [​IMG]
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. err, thanks for that image :LOL:
  15. I love that tucked away exhaust.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. I love the sound of it!
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Welcome Daniel. Nice ride! Enjoy!!

Which CBR900 did you have?

The early ones had about 110-120HP at the crank from memory?
    None of todays bikes that make these type of power figures have any aids eithers ( with the exception of ABS I suppose).

Your new bike is in a whole different league!
  18. Well that's it, the day I picked it up
  19. gday DanielWDanielW welcome to NR and your triumphant return to the world of motorcycling - that is a beautiful looking machine! I guess you would also be a coffee drinker?! we like our coffees on here.

look forward to hearing that L-twin roar into action on one of our NR rides. as GeorgeOGeorgeO said, that shorty pipe just adds such a nice finish.