Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Back Brake

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by live4themoment, Oct 30, 2007.

1. I was coming up the main street today when i got to the first of a few round abouts i noticed my throttle response had changed. It just was very sluggish to too pick up. I took it 500 meters more around to a car park where as soon as my hand came off the throttle the bike just stopped.

After getting off i noticed smoke coming from the back brake pad and that when i pushed the back brake lever down with my hand it just went straight down no feeling at all. I had to wait 2 hours for it to come and get picked up as the shop that i brought it from and take it to is about 30 mins away.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? It seemed like the back brake just applied itself and left itself applied as i rode the 500 meters.
  2. When was the last time you checked the thickness on the rear pads?
  3. Sounds like rear caliper piston seized.
  4. i checked

They would have last been looked at about 3000kms ago i have had the bike for 12 months and done 9300kms.
  5. Does sound like the piston has seized - often caused by the pads wearing down too far and allowing the piston to move too far out from the caliper.
  6. would

I would have thought the front pads would wear out faster then the back as i do use the front alot more then the back. I have only recently in the last 2 months started to use the back brakes a bit more then what i used to use them but still use front more.
  7. Yeah but unless you're checking the pads yourself there's no guarantee they had plenty of friction material left. My last bike had been through a full service and a RWC before I got it, but the rear brakes were literally just metal plates (absolutely no friction material left at all).
  8. I gave the shop a call today the guy who came out and picked it up for me told me that they had a look at it and it was the Master brake cylinder. He said he was going to push to get it done under warrenty as i still have a year left on it and he said that he thinks it should be done under warrenty as he believed it wasn't my fault.

If not covered under warrenty he said i was looking at about $500 plus my rego is due next week which is $380 so i hoping that it will be covered under warrenty.
  9. master cylinders shouldn't seize in the first ten years of life of a bike unless you top the brake fluid up with water.

If they try to tell you it's not under warranty, do your nut.
  10. I am a novice when it comes to tinkering with bike so i never touch it. I want to take a course so i know a little bit more about if small things go wrong to learn how to fix them.

So the only time the brakes or anything on the bike would have been touched or filled up is when i have taken it in for its 2 serivces.
  11. Did you let your bike sit for a while? My mate had his rear brake seize on after it sat for a month or so.
  12. Nope my bike is my only form of transport the longest i havent ridden it is when it has been in the shop for flat tire and services. The rest of the time gets ridden every day.
  13. Rang the shop today they heard back and it is going to be covered under warrenty now i can have a few drinks this weekend without having to worry about saving the $500 lol.