Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Awesome roads

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Sooty, Jan 30, 2010.

1. where do i sign
  2. ive also just watched the latest topgear episodes cause i refuse to watch it on chan 9 when they come out, on series 14 epidode 1 they went to romania, place called Transfăgărăşan hwy

The road was constructed between 1970 and 1974, during the rule of Nicolae Ceauşescu. It came as a response to the 1968 invasion of Czechoslovakia by the Soviet Union. Ceauşescu wanted to ensure quick military access across the mountains in the event the Soviets attempted a similar move into Romania. Consequently, the road was built mainly with military forces, at a high cost both financially and from a human standpoint—roughly 6 million kilograms of dynamite were used on the northern face, and about 40 soldiers lost their lives in building accidents. Due to this, the road is referred to as "Ceauşescu's folly".

all i can say is WOW
  3. now there's a lifetime project!!!!
  4. That Trollstigen in Norway makes me feel ill just looking at it.

Did the Transfăgărăşan hwy in a minibus a decade ago. Was quite an adrenalin boost - especially the way Romanians drive.
    Later that year it was well and truly surpassed by the Babusar Pass in Pakistan, which had most of the passengers (locals included) reduced to tears before the journey was out.
    I don't think anything beats that Road of Death, but I don't intend to find out.
  5. Did the Leh-Manali rd last year (2009).
    Woo Hoo! is all I can say.

Stelvio pass looks the goods though!.
  6. Forget the dirt roads, But the rest, yeeeeeaaaaaahhhhh, A lot of kittens have just gone to kitty heaven.
    Excellent bike roads, I wish I could do them all.