Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Awesome glove drying hack

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by duncan_bayne, Jan 7, 2012.

1. can also chuck them on your nikes heads when you stop after a ride the heat will dry them in no time [if you get caught in the rain}
    or get heated grips :)
  2. Going to cost a fortune in hair dryers. :?

Much easier just to shove newspaper in the gloves and leave them somewhere warm.
  3. towel warmer
  4. Uhhh....wouldnt recommend that unless your hair dryer has a very low setting, even a "cold shot" setting.
  5. I use the hand dryer in the office bathroom. It has a perfect sized outlet that I can fit the glove over. Let it go until the dryer stops itself and they're damn near good to go.
  6. I thought it wasn't good for leather to dry it with heat?
  7. True in theory but when you're piss wet through, a long way from your spare gloves and can't face putting your hand into wet leather again, you'll take the risk :D.
  8. I dry mine in the oven: Fan forced, door partially open, lowest temperature setting. They're a bit crispy when I forget though...
  9. Mmmmmmm! Crackling :D.
  10. It's not a good idea to dry leather with heat. I've wrecked several pairs of perfectly good gloves doing it.
  11. Thought so! I'll stick with air drying it with a fan :)
  12. Would it depend on the leather? ie, cowhide vs kangaroo hide...
  13. I don't know. I think that's pretty much any kind of real leather. I guess some kinds would be more susceptible than others but I don't really know. I know that I have put my cold wet hands on the hot muffler to warm them and begin the drying, and wrecked the gloves - and like a fool I've done it several times.
  14. Whilst I agree that heat drying leather isn't an ideal process, I'd suggest that there is a significant difference between a bit of gentle heat from a hairdryer or hand dryer and applying them to, effectively, a hot BBQ plate :D.
  15. lol um yeah +1
  16. My alpinestars have been oven dried about 8 times in two years and still going strong. :)
  17. I used to place mine behind two desktop computers at work. The warm constant air from the case fan worked perfectly over a working day. Half the time the user of the second computer would never notice it been there...

-posting on phone; spelling likely fukd
  18. I usually put mine on the floor by the central heating ducts in winter, & have never had a problem. I imagine that's a fair bit gentler than heating on a muffler though.