Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Awesome article

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Sir Skuffy, Jul 29, 2005.

1. My favorite quote that I think rings true.....

“Riding a motorcycle is very natural reaction-oriented,” LaVelle says. “It is like martial arts—a little kid who has been trained in martial arts at a young age will naturally block a punch without even thinking about it. It becomes instinctual.” Lavelle says that, because he has been riding so long—he calculated 5,000 miles up Highway 9—his riding has become instinctual as well. “Things happen so fast on a motorcycle, you need to have a natural reaction to unexpected events. If you even have to think about it, it’s too late.”
  2. Thats a very good article, with many good, true points.
  3. Some motorcyclists, when attempting higher speeds, occasionally drift into the other lane, whether on purpose or because they underestimate a turn. In general, a rider can go faster if he sometimes uses the other lane. But LaVelle says it is a cop out, and riders should train themselves to stay in their own lane. “It is just smarter and more safe that way, and it is a personal challenge to do it,” he says.

Can anyone says ... Reefton or GOR? Exactly ... anyone monkey can ride fast by using the opposite lane .. the talented stay within their own lane.
  4. Being a Noob ... instead of starting a new thread, i thought i might post this here ...

There are soo many nice articles on the net about riding. Just came across this one which i found thought provoking too ...

5. DITTO FOR MACQUARIE PASS, (NSW) but try and tell the boy-racers that!!! (although one pf the people killed on the Pass this year was a local and was 37 years old.....How did he die? he hit a truck while he was on the wrong side of the road!)
  6. Yep , totally agree .
  7. Great article, thanks so much for bringing it to our attention.